Can she be saved? Poor girl

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

bludusty
Egg
Egg

Can she be saved? Poor girl

Post by bludusty »

I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I noticed her. Her eggs must have started to fungus and it just kept growing. Should I try something to save her or just put her to sleep. I feel so bad for her. Please, experts out there, can I try to save her or is she too far gone. Thanks in advance for any medical advice.

Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

First of all, are there any symtoms? Is she behaving strangly, loss of behavior (feeding), is she still grazing? Any other physical changes not seen in the picture?

How long has she been this way? Are there any other shrimp with any hint of this problem? Are water conditions same?

At this point I would not try any treatments at all as most meds/chem will harm more than help. If there are not debilitating or signs of suffering behaviors I would continue to observe.

Please update us if there are any changes :!:
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

This may be a superficial effect of the eggs being effected and not actually the female, so please answer the above questions before you take any actions.

Thanks.
yoink
Egg
Egg

Post by yoink »

You could try some pimafix. It is harmless to the shrimp and is decent at clearing up fungal infections. It is often used with melafix, also harmless, to prevent secondary infections.
JeffK

Post by JeffK »

Also I wouldnt take her out of the water often as it really puts her under unnecesary stress (thus lowering her resistence to disease)

Jeff
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I have never seen anything like this before....interesting. If the shrimp is doing ok (i.e. running around and picking) then you can always wait until the next molt if nothing else works. The fungus will be shed off with the exoskeleton.

Unfortunately, with shrimp you can't really do much to "heal" them. Most shrimp that are going downhill cannot be brought back.
frugalfish
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by frugalfish »

Wow. That is bizarre.
klkelly
Egg
Egg

Shrimp

Post by klkelly »

bludusty - i recognize you from GAB.

I hope the experts here can give you advice that might be able to help.

I'll be following this post and hope it will be good news for her!!!

Karrie
bludusty
Egg
Egg

female with fungus

Post by bludusty »

She is still doing ok, eating and trying to get around. The fungus is so massive on her underside that she kind of wobbles when trying to walk. I do hope she will shed the mass of fungus when she molts. None of the others show any signs of this and are very healthy. Will keep you updated on her condition.
lampeye
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by lampeye »

Might this be a job for iodine?
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

Wow that's shocking.

Keep the water quality tip top and let us know how she does after her next moult.

I hope she'll be ok.
bludusty
Egg
Egg

shrimp fungus

Post by bludusty »

Well mama is still alive, eating and moving around. She has developed a stripe down her back and being kinda new to shrimp keeping, I assume that means she is ready to molt. I do hope she will be fine once that happens. Will keep you posted.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for the update and I too hope that she will be fine :)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: shrimp fungus

Post by Mustafa »

bludusty wrote:She has developed a stripe down her back and being kinda new to shrimp keeping, I assume that means she is ready to molt.
That has nothing to do with molting. Some red cherries have that stripe and some don't. It can also come and go on the shrimp that have it.
bludusty
Egg
Egg

She's ok now

Post by bludusty »

I just checked her and altho her sides and abdomen are still distended and swollen where the fungus grew, the fungus is gone and she seems fine. I saw two eggs still visible high up in her body, but the cluster of them has dissapeared. She must have molted and dropped the cluster of eggs with the fungus still attached. I was amazed that she survived this terrible condition.