Blue cajuns - fixing the strain

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

lampeye
Shrimp
Shrimp

Blue cajuns - fixing the strain

Post by lampeye »

Most of the cajun crays I've seen show varing amounts of blue on the bodies. The "blue gene" seems to be relatively common.

So, I have a question for FishWorldErie: Was the blue cajun the result of a blue mutation, as in one batch of youngsters had one or more clearly blue indiviuals, and you've selcted from them, or was it just a matter of selecting the bluest individuals you have on hand. I ask because two or three of my cajuns, while a typical brown mottled pattern, show what seems to be a rather heavy amount of blue speckling.
FISH WORLD ERIE
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by FISH WORLD ERIE »

At first when I got these there was no blue in them whatsoever. I got my original crays from two sources. The babies from this pairing are the ones that showed some blue. It started with some blue that was showing on a few crays body. The blue was throughout their body. Not noticeable unless under good light. I selected these and began to breed them. To get the strong blue like some of them show now took 2 years. And the blue varys alot. I am starting to select from this also and I am working on two different strains of blue.

You may be able to do the same with your crays.
lampeye
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by lampeye »

Sure, as soon as I have two years free. :lol:

EDIT: The blue on mine is evenly spread as well. It's especially obvious in the claws.

Another question for you - my stock of cajuns throws ONLY mottled individuals. What's the relationship between the mottled and the striped - is it a simple matter of one being dominant, the other recessive (as in red- and lead-backed phases of the red-backed salamander)? Is it more complex?

I'm getting some striped individuals shipped to me to get some more variety into my bloodline. I'll have to be careful not to dilute the blue color of my current stock into nothingness. I guess I'll isolate my bluest pair for a bit.
FISH WORLD ERIE
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by FISH WORLD ERIE »

Everyone has two years. You just cannot have it all at once. :wink:
Mine throw both mottled and striped. I am not sure what the relationship is. Good luck with yours.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

As I have learned , this Hobby is one for Patient people.

I myself, had to learn this the hard way.

John