Who likes brown algae?

This forum is read-only.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Who likes brown algae?

Post by Neonshrimp »

I have 3 types of snails; MTS, ramshorn and apple snails. Please let me know which snails are best to help rid a tank of brown algae.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

Brown is actually diatoms, not algae. I read somewhere that pond snails will eat it. I use BN pleco's to control algae and diatoms. They keep the glass clean, and most of the rest of the tank as well.
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

Are we talking Brown algae ( Which are diatoms, like toddnbecka said.) in a freshwater tank, or in a brackish tank?

The best algae control i've found in a brackish tank, is an algae scrubber and a lot of hard work :lol:

As for freshwater diatoms, i'm not sure if pond snails would do the trick. I really only have experience with that type of algae in BW systems.

-John
JK
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JK »

Hi Neonshrimp,

I use Neritina turrita, Neritina (thorned type),Clithon brenspinas, and Septaria porcellana..........they seem to be able to clean the tank and plants of just about anything!
shrimp-puff

Post by shrimp-puff »

its not a snail, but flying fox algea eaters do a wonderfull job on brown algea. i had a brown algea problem but i traced it back to the high mineral content of my tap water . I switched to a better water conditioner and added a canister filter to my tank and the problem is gone.