South american shrimp?!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Das Dee
Egg
Egg

South american shrimp?!

Post by Das Dee »

Hi,

while collecting information concerning our new apistogramma, I read something about shrimp in Rio Negro. While this river is very soft and acid I wonder if they can exist. Has anybody information about (dwarf) shrimp in SA? Is there anywhere a source for information?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

As far as I know there are only very few species of what we call "dwarf shrimp" in South America. I am only aware of Potimirim potimirim, P. glabra and P. brasiliana. However, they all occur in areas close to the sea and don't live in blackwater rivers or creeks. Maybe there are still undiscovered species, but as you can see, dwarf shrimp are not very well represented in South America. There is a large diversity of Paleemonid shrimp (including tons of Macrobrachium) in South America, some of which occur in blackwater environments.
Das Dee
Egg
Egg

Post by Das Dee »

Hi Mustafa,

OK - lets divide :wink:
There are the real dwarf shrimp (Caridina/Neocaridina) and the small sized shrimp...
I'm looking for the last one. :roll:

What I currently found is Peru zebra shrimp Euryrhynchus amazoniensis which is - with 3cm - small sized.

But there are some other which look interesting:
Palaemonetes ivonicus
Macrobrachium brasiliense
Palaemon concinnus 1.0

As both links are commercial websites you might delete them. But I did not find any other information, so I just use them to show what I think about...

Br.,
Dirk
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Dirk! :)
Das Dee wrote:Hi Mustafa,

OK - lets divide :wink:
There are the real dwarf shrimp (Caridina/Neocaridina) and the small sized shrimp...
I'm looking for the last one. :roll:
I see. Why didn't you say so right away? ;)
What I currently found is Peru zebra shrimp Euryrhynchus amazoniensis which is - with 3cm - small sized.
I have that species and we have discussed it a few times before on this forum. You might want to perform a search. I only have females (unfortunately) but my experience with this shrimp so far has been that it hides out during the day and is active at night when the lights are off. Hence, you won't ever see it do anything. I barely ever see my shrimp and I've had them for almost 6 months.

But there are some other which look interesting:
Palaemonetes ivonicus
Macrobrachium brasiliense
Palaemon concinnus 1.0

Except for Palaemon concinnus the all the species you mentioned have been discussed here many times, starting more than 1.5 years back. Also, there is a species description on what seems to be P. ivonicus in the shrimp varieties section. You might want to look there and perform a few searches to find out more information. You know the rules... :wink:
As both links are commercial websites you might delete them. But I did not find any other information, so I just use them to show what I think about...
Yes, and I deleted the links. You can always use the "IMG" tags to post direct pictures from those websites. I did that for one of the pictures in your post above if you notice. That way you can still show the picture without breaking any rules. And...again...always search before asking questions as many things have been discussed before. Here is a link to an *almost identical* discussion:

viewtopic.php?t=1772

All it took was to type in the keywords "south" and "american" and it came right up. There are over 16000 posts here after all, so it's likely that many things have been discussed here before. Hence the rule to avoid the same discussions from occuring every time a new member joins.
Das Dee
Egg
Egg

Post by Das Dee »

Hi Mustafa,

wonder how many information are available here as google did not give many satisfying answer. This is something I'm looking longer for. :smt023
Hopefully I will not break the rules again. :wink:

Br.,
Dirk