Mysterious spotted snails

This forum is read-only.
Cableguy
Larva
Larva

Post by Cableguy »

Neonshrimp wrote:
It looks like you have some of what I call "blonde" pond snails - a mutation that gives them a light golden-brown body color.
A snail that is aesthetically pleasing as well as being plant safe! That is a wonderful combo :D
have you seen the white/red/pink/blue ramshorn snails?

all natural, no dyes
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

That is something I would like to display in my tanks :o I will look into those ramshorn snails.

Thanks.
Cableguy
Larva
Larva

Post by Cableguy »

Neonshrimp wrote:That is something I would like to display in my tanks :o I will look into those ramshorn snails.

Thanks.
they're pretty neat, i've got some whites and reds as well as the regular old browns, but i've also got some crazy spotted ones that have been popping up
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The spotted ramshorns are just young/juvenile ramshorns, not a mutation. I have them all over the place. They lose the spots and turn brown when they grow up.
Cableguy
Larva
Larva

Post by Cableguy »

i've got some dime sized spotted ones, they don't seem to be going away at this size
marusempai
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by marusempai »

So, an update if anyone cares to know... the spotted snails definitely don't eat plants, and have cleared the algae off my rotala (the shrimp wouldn't touch it, very odd). They're very prolific of course which is creating problems of its own... but oddly enough, they and the very large red ramshorn that stowed away somewhere have helped me convince my husband we need an invertibrate tank. Yay! Shrimp tank for Maru! :-D
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for the informative and helpful update :D ! Yay for the shrimp tank :-D :!: