Slightly Bored...

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Slightly Bored...

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

...I'm just taking a small break from replanting my snowball shrimp tank. I'll try to get some pics up when I'm finished--if it ever will be. I had traded someone on another forum some RCS (red cherry shrimp) for a few different mosses, but they haven't arrived. Hopefully, they'll get her Monday. Any who, I'm putting in a bunch more Rotala rotunifolia and an Anubias coffeefolia. I'd like to put in some "baby" Java ferns, but I think I'm out of snall driftwood to tie them to. I may have a small piece of petrified wood to tie them to, but the petrified wood looks out of place with the Malaysian driftwood covered with Christmas moss I already have in the tank. Bleh...off to work on the tank.

More ramblings to come later.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Work? More like fun :D ! I have also been working on my shrimp tanks. I just traded my tank in for one twice as big 20gal and have been working on that since Thursday. I have to say it takes alot of time but the joy I get out of it is way worth it :-D Best wishes on your tank and have FUN!
Annako
Larva
Larva

Post by Annako »

aw it sounds like fun to me! Good luck with that! I am sure the snowballs will like it. o.O What size is the snowball home?

I would love to do a moss and fern tank for the 55 gallon I just got for birthday/christmass, but its hard to get ahold of something that is just not stright up javamoss/fern here. The fish store in chinatown by us said they could special order any plant I wanted but we will see...
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

Well, I think it looks horrible. So, I'm gonna redo ot. I've been feeling awful the last few days with sinus pain, and no OTC medication is working. So today, I'm feeling a little better and more clear-headed, and I'm going to give the 'scaping another try.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

Almost forgot:

The snowball shrimp tank is a 10 gallon.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

Ok. So, I've just reshaped the substrate, replanted all the Rotala r., moved the Malaysian driftwood with moss, and I removed the Anubias because it was too large for the tank. I'll either have to get some more crypts from the other tanks or buy new ones after Christmas. Looks ALOT better than it did before.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

ARB,

You can always cut an anubias to make two plants. Cut that main stem in two or three pieces and plant them separately if that makes it possible to fit them in there.

Or seek out the miniature or "petite" varieties.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

I think I'm going to get some the 'petite' variety. The leaves the Anubias that I have are just too big for the tank and make the tank look smaller than it is. I think the species that I have is Anubias coffeefolia. At the LPS, it was simply labeled: Anubias sp.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Busy busy Anne, I think you will like the petite variety as they look nice with shrimp them. Hope your sinus problems are clearing up. Please keep us updated :-D
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

So just a quick update: The tank is done, for now. I don't have any more crypts to put into the tank, so I'll have to get more after Christmas. I also came to the realization that I need more plants for the 20 gallon long RCS and Singapore shrimp tank. I have several different crypt species in there, but not enough, and it looks bare. I think the shrimp Christmas presents will be crypts and anubias--and LOADS of them! LOL Oh, and I finally got my different mosses today! I also need more driftwood (for the 20 gallon long).

The sinuses finally cleared up with rest and more meds. Still a little pain there, but not as bad and nearly blinding and paralyzing as it was a few days ago.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Good news about your sinuses :D On another note, did we ever decide on the shrimp smilie? I wanted the pink shrimp :P
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

I've found that eating really spicy food, like pickled hot sausages or chili, opens my sinuses very nicely... :-D
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for the home healing tip, I will use it for my current sinus problems :D
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

I also like to sit in the bathroom with the door closed, and the shower running to make a sort of sauna.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

That sounds like a great idea, homemade sauna for sinuses :lol:

Thanks!