Setup a tank for crystal reds...

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Pigheaddd
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Setup a tank for crystal reds...

Post by Pigheaddd »

hello,

im going to setup a 10 gallons tank for crystal reds. i have few questions about my setup... can you give me some advice? thanks alot...

1st, can i only use sponge filter? if i use sponge filter, do i need to change water often? if so, how often?

2nd, can i use powerhead with sponge filter?

3rd, do crystal red like stronger water circulation?

thanks for your advice, and i really appreciated.

Tim
Last edited by Pigheaddd on Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hello Tim,

Keeping Crystal Reds is similar to keeping all the other algae eating shrimp described on this website. Read my article "How to keep algae/detritus eating Shrimp" under the Articles section on my website and most of your questions should be answered.

I'll give you short anwers here anyway.

1st question: Yes, sponge filter are actually the preferred method of filtering. Change water every couple of weeks..about 25% give or take.

2nd question: I would not recommend a powerhead since it will clog the sponge filter sooner or later.

3rd question: Nope. They don't need stronger water ciculation

Mustafa
Last edited by Mustafa on Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pigheaddd
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pigheaddd »

Petshrimp.com wrote:Hello Tim,

Keeping Cherry Reds is similar to keeping all the other algae eating shrimp described on this website. Read my article "How to keep algae/detritus eating Shrimp" under the Articles section on my website and most of your questions should be answered.

I'll give you short anwers here anyway.

1st question: Yes, sponge filter are actually the preferred method of filtering. Change water every couple of weeks..about 25% give or take.

2nd question: I would not recommend a powerhead since it will clog the sponge filter sooner or later.

3rd question: Nope. They don't need stronger water ciculation

Mustafa

hi Mustafa,

im asking about crystal reds. :-D so crystal and cherry red are pretty much similar in captivity right? only thing i know that crystal is more sensitive than cherry. ive been successful to breed cherries couple times, but i havent gotten any chance to keep crystals yet. oh... i should read your article first. i got all answers in your great article.

thanks alot,

Tim
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Oops...I meant Crystal Red of course. I changed that im my post above. I'm glad you liked the article. :) The only thing I can add is that the Crystal Reds might be more productive in softer water with a lower PH, but that is not a certainty.

Mustafa
Pigheaddd
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pigheaddd »

Here is my 10g setup... Questions and comments are all welcome!!!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hey Tim,

Good setup, but looks a little bare. I know Japanese like to set up shrimp tanks just like that, too (bare with some stones and java moss), but I think it's beneficial for the shrimp to have some substrate in there. Go to home depot and get some "Premium Play Sand" and put a 1 inch layer in your tank. The sand will provide a great substrate for micro-organisms and micro-algae to grow on which the shrimp will feast. You won't be able to see the micro-organisms, but the shrimp will and they will appreciate it.

Also, it is MUCH easier to control ammonia and nitrite in a tank with substrate than without since the ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria do not only live in the filter but also in the substrate and the walls of the tank. If you choose sand, you should also get some Malaysian Trumpet Snails so they can sift through the sand and keep it aerated for the bacteria. I do NOT recommend any other snails since they compete for food with the shrimp and can reproduce faster than the shrimp. The trumpet snails are too slow to really be able to compete for food with shrimp. Just my experience.

By the way, how many shrimp are in there? I am counting 8, but some might be hidden.

Take care,
Mustafa
Last edited by Mustafa on Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pigheaddd
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pigheaddd »

Hi Mustafa,

Thanks for great advice. You almost got it. :lol: I have 10 in the tank, and I put coconut hut in the middle. Wish me luck to have babies swimming around in 3 weeks.

I will keep updated!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hey Tim,

You will have babies crawling around the tank in a couple of weeks, no doubt! The problem will be to keep them fed. I have no trouble in my tanks, since I *intentionally* grow so much algae plus my decomposing oak leaves harbor so many microorganisms, that I do not even speficially feed the young shrimp. In your bare tank that might prove to be a problem. Get some "dirt" in the tank so the young shrimp will have something to eat once they hatch. If you have some old filter material with lots of detritus and "crap" :-D in it, then squeeze that out into your shrimp tank. Not only will that provide micro-food for the young shrimp, but it will also promote algae growth, which you really want when you are trying to breed algae/detritus eating shrimp.

Oh yeah...forgot to mention earlier. Although Java Moss also harbors some micro-organisms on which the shrimp and their young can feed, it also competes very heavily with algae growth. In tanks where java moss takes over, algae just don't grow or grow very slowly. In my experience algae provide more food for the shrimp than what they can find on java moss. Just another tip. :)

Also...VERY IMPORTANT! Your little shrimp will get sucked into that internal filter that you have in your tank. They won't die or anything, and will probably even grow inside that filter, but they will not be able to get back out once they are a little too big and THEN they might die of starvation. I recommend that you put a air driven sponge filter in there (that's what I have in all my shrimp tanks).

And yes, keep us updated! You gotta keep those "kids" alive, since I might just stop by and pick up some of them. :) I'll just have to find a way to get to Maryland by public transportation since I don't have a car.

Take care,
Mustafa
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

I would not suggest adding substrate to a bare-bottomed tank in any other way than slowly. Because beneficial bacteria will have settled on the glass, when one pours substrate over it -- it will kill the beneficial bacteria. I had this happen with my 10 gallon quarantine tank. I have 5 ottos in there at the time and had decided I wanted to put plants in there. Uggh! It only mini-cycled for a couple of days, but I will never do that again.

If you add substrate, add only a little bit -- like a cup, in a corner -- and wait a week to add any more, etc.etc.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Good point. :)

Mustafa
Pigheaddd
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pigheaddd »

Thanks for replies.

Mustafa,

My friend may come down to MD in middle of August. If I have more shrimps during that time, I can ask him bring couple for you, but you have to pick them up. My friends live in NJ. I will let you know.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hey Tim,

That would definitely be great if I don't get Red Crystals from other sources by then. I'll know in a couple of weeks, but thanks for the offer.

Take care,
Mustafa