Greetings

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Spider6leg
Egg
Egg

Greetings

Post by Spider6leg »

Hey Everyone,
I'm a shrimp newbie (and a planted tank newbie as well). Im starting up a 10 gallon planted tank and after reading some posts and Mustafa's article I think im going to put some shrimp in it. Are sparkling gouramis good tank mates for red cherry shrimp? What about cardinal tetras? I might put an oto to eat algae, do you think the shrimp would eat enough that i wouldnt need the oto? Thanks for the help.
Btw Mustafa that article is really informative! (Im from New York too 8) .)
Chris
:D
Starringme
Egg
Egg

Hmm...

Post by Starringme »

Every1 here seems to be a newbie! Hahaz... No offence to the veterans. :)

I have cardinal teras plus neon tetra plus a lampeye and 10 over cherry shrimps in my tank. So i guess the tetras will do fine. But for the gouramis I'm not sure... but aren't they big looking... Hmm... Great site btw... 8)
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

None of those fish will bother the adult shrimp. The tetras and the gouramis will see baby shrimp as a tasty snack. Make sure you give them plenty of space to hide.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Greetings

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Chris! Welcome to the forum!

As mentioned before, Trichopsis pumilus (your gouramis) are too small to eat anything bigger than very tiny days old shrimp, but will feast on any shrimp they can catch and fit into their mouth. The adult shrimp are safe since the gouramis are not much bigger than them. Same applies to the tetrals.

The shrimp are usually enough to solve algae problems, but it won't hurt to have some Otocinclus there. Otos are more efficient at eating some types of slime algae, but red cherries eat almost everything and are extremely efficient.

By the way, I will be putting up more articles in the future on different aspects of the shrimp hobby, until then that one article should suffice. :)

Take care,
Mustafa
Chris wrote:Hey Everyone,
I'm a shrimp newbie (and a planted tank newbie as well). Im starting up a 10 gallon planted tank and after reading some posts and Mustafa's article I think im going to put some shrimp in it. Are sparkling gouramis good tank mates for red cherry shrimp? What about cardinal tetras? I might put an oto to eat algae, do you think the shrimp would eat enough that i wouldnt need the oto? Thanks for the help.
Btw Mustafa that article is really informative! (Im from New York too 8) .)
Chris
:D