yet another shrimp i.d.

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

danny_t
Egg
Egg

Post by danny_t »

Congrads amanda_h for successful breed.

I've previously kept Green Shrimp (your first Pic) and Blue Shrimp(your second and third pic) as well. However, the place I'm staying often has identity crisis on Green, Blue and Malayan Shrimp. The common thing among those mention is the white stripe on the back of the shrimp. And some of the Malayan shrimp will also change their colour to green and blue as well.

If you find your Green shrimp changes its colour other than green, it is a Malayan Shrimp same applies for the Blue Shrimp.

Blue and Green Shrimp came from China and Malayan Shrimp is from Malaysia. The price here is quite affordable US3.50 will get you 50 Malayan shrimps and US5.00 will get you either 10 Blue Shrimp or Green Shrimp.

Regards
Danny
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Amanda,

Why do belive that it is nessary for your new shrimplettes to have salt/brakish water? :-D

TKD
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

danny_t wrote:If you find your Green shrimp changes its colour other than green, it is a Malayan Shrimp same applies for the Blue Shrimp.
Not exactly. The color of GS is highly variable.
Blue and Green Shrimp came from China and Malayan Shrimp is from Malaysia.
By "came from", do you mean that they were shipped from there or do you mean that they are native to those areas?
amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

TKD wrote:Amanda,
Why do belive that it is nessary for your new shrimplettes to have salt/brakish water? :-D
Hey TKD

It was discussed upthread (p.2) that shrimp that go through a larval stage require brackish or saltwater to develop. And these guys are larvae. Don't let the pics fool you, these guys are tiny.
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Ah ok

Thanks,

TKD
danny_t
Egg
Egg

Post by danny_t »

Yes, native to those area.

There is also another type call Malayan Green shrimp here, which the colour is highly variable.

Bradimus wrote:
danny_t wrote:If you find your Green shrimp changes its colour other than green, it is a Malayan Shrimp same applies for the Blue Shrimp.
Not exactly. The color of GS is highly variable.
Blue and Green Shrimp came from China and Malayan Shrimp is from Malaysia.
By "came from", do you mean that they were shipped from there or do you mean that they are native to those areas?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The Green Shrimp is *not* native to China...trust me on that one. It is native to India. I even know the guy who goes out and catches them. They might come to you via China, but they are not native there.

The "blue shrimp" is native to nowhere since it does not occur naturally, just like the "Red Cherry Shrimp." Also, like the Red Cherry Shrimp the "blue shrimp" is a color variation of Neocaridina denticulata sinensis, which does occur in its natural coloration in China.

I would not trust anything the store from which you are getting your shrimp from is telling you. Mildly put....they have no clue. :-D

Finally, you can't just tell what shrimp species you have by saying: "if it turns x color then it is y, if it turns y color it is z", it does not work like.

As Brad already pointed out, green shrimp can be variable in coloration when they are adults (funny enough they are just green when they are young) and most other shrimp species show color variation, too. The *same* "green" shrimp in my tank can change it's color from light green to dark green, to orange, to red, to brownish and almost black and all of this with or without white stripe on its back. That does not make it a different species.

You really need to look at these guys under the microscope AND observe their breeding (are the eggs large? small? what do the larvae/hatchlings look like...how big are the larvae/hatchlings etc. ) to be able to make any educated guess about what species they are.

Dealers tend to even give the same shrimp species different names since they think the temporary (or non-temporary) color variations are different species.

The "Malayan" shrimp you are talking about is a totally different species.

Take care,
Mustafa
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Hi Mustafa,

Would you happen to have a pic of the blue (berry) :-D shirmp? :?:

Thanks,

TKD
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi TKD,

I started a new thread with the pictures. Go to the main forum page...you can't miss it.

Mustafa