Digital Camera Advice

This forum is read-only.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I finally cracked the code! It does have a manual focus. It now appears to have full manual settings so I can set the aperature, speed, and focus as well as zoom. I got a sharp picture of one of my bamboo shrimp, so maybe I can get better with practice.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

OK, here is my best effort so far, very artistic: Mother & Child sort of thing:

I'm hoping I can get this thing to lock the screen so manual focus stays up. The screen keeps going back to manual aperature and exposure and I have to keep wading through the menue to get back to manual focus.
Caridina sp.
Larva
Larva

Post by Caridina sp. »

Nice shot badflash it should be submitted to the art institute :lol: Photography is not a easy thing to learn overnight thats why professionals go to school for it. That camera has tons of advanced features compared to normal point and shoot but I'm sure in a few weeks you'll have it mastered. I am ordering the exact same model so you'll have to give me some pointers.. I can't wait to tinker with a new toy. :D
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Learn to curse in 3 languages, I did and I don't even know what they are! :-D

The hardest part if finding out how to set the manual focus. It is burried pretty far down on a side menu.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

This camera certainly has unexplored features. Once I figure out the digital zoom I think the world will unfold before me!

Just to be totally evil. I shot this sequence of pictures in about 10 minutes. I used PSP to crop the pictures and adjust the brightness and contrast to match what I saw in another 30 minutes. Unbelievable. I'm an engineer, not an artist.
As Will Smith said in Independance Day "I gotta get me one of these!"
Caridina sp.
Larva
Larva

Post by Caridina sp. »

The second photo is breathtaking man, each strand of moss is visable and the old shell is cristal clear.. Very nice!
demented_lullaby
Larva
Larva

Post by demented_lullaby »

I love the pic with the shrimp molt. Awesome!!!!! Has this site ever thought about a picture of the month contest? I think it would be fun. Shrimp are some of the most interesting creatures to capture on film IMO.

congrats on the camera!
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

WooHoo :-D This is a great new section! Please send in you suggestions of cameras you would recommend. Please remember that some of us, including myself are on a budget and can't spend a great deal of money on the camera. However, I would really like to buy one soon and join in the photo fun!

Thanks.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

The Olympus SP-500UZ works OK, but has some real anoyances and limitations. The macro feature seems to be an afterthought, and auto focus doesn't work through the glass. It also has poor low-light capability. The zoom-macro doesn't work at all for close work.

Manual focus is a true pain. Each time you want to use manual focus you must select it from the menu. A postage stamp focus window pops up but only stays while you are focusing. As soon as you stop it goes away and for tiny subjects that move a bit, you get loads of fuzzy pictures. If you move the F stop up high enough to get proper depth of field, the image is too dark or the shutter speed to slow to get a good picture. Trying to use a tripod with macro work just does not work for me.

I've taken a lot of really good pics with this thing, but if I had it to do over I'd go to a shop and try the camera out & bring some critters with me. I'd also invest in some good photo lights. I may still do that.

My dream digitial camera would be full manual with direct controls of everything so I could adjust stuff easily as I need too and not go through a bunch of menus.
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

I have A sony DSW-7. Decent, but have to take many shots. Sometimes I wonder if it is me.

-Pedro
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

My Sister-in-law has one of those High-tech cameras.
I am trying to get her, to let me use it.
It take the greatest close up pictures.

But, it set her back, $1600.00.

That is alot of tanks and Shrimp/Crayfish/ filters / heaters / lights,
and still a little cash in your wallet.

John
FISH WORLD ERIE
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by FISH WORLD ERIE »

My brother has one of those expensive camera's also. It cost him like $1200.00. I am still working on him to let me use it. Maybe someday and then I will post pics with it.
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

FISH WORLD ERIE wrote:My brother has one of those expensive camera's also. It cost him like $1200.00. I am still working on him to let me use it. Maybe someday and then I will post pics with it.
If he's spent 1200$ on a camera he might be a bit of a photo buff and willing to snap some fancy photos for you? My GF has an expensive digi and is more then willing to take pictures for me then have me mess with her precious settings :wink:
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

RESguy, you say you have an Olympus UZ-510. How does this differ from my 500UZ? What agravates me to no end with my camera is that you can't get it to stay on the "focus" mode except as you are changing the distance, and I've found no way to keep it on manual focus except going through the menu every time. The f8.0 is also a big limit and it only has a 400 speed film sensitivity.

I see your camera is now down to what I paid for mine.