Gettin' Some Snowball Shrimp!!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

Oh yeah! Sorry, my daughter was distracting me.

The flow is NOT adjustable, but is low enough that it doesn't pose a problem, IMO. The box it comes in says "for aquariums up to 30 gallons", but we planted tank keepers don't recommend tanks over 10 gallons for this filter. I'm sure you could go to the hardware store and get something like ball valves to put on the filter. I wouldn't really worry about it though on a 10 gallon. If you put it on a smaller tank, then I would start looking for a method to adjust the flow.

Oh, and it did really snow here last night. :wink:
heather_rose2001
Egg
Egg

Post by heather_rose2001 »

Congrats on your snowflakes, I think thats awesome as I myself am awaiting for the arrival of snowflakes. I am glad to hear yours did it in a 10 gal. as mine would not even consider it til I put them in a 20 gallon. Does this mean Im raising brats?
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

Thanks! Yes, mine are in their own 10 gallon. I haven't had them in any other tank size since getting them November 16. LOL, you could be raising brats! LOL
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi Anne, do you think it is enough to have a sponge on the inlet tube to cut down the water flow?

Thanks.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

Yes, that would work just fine.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

So, yesterday evening I re-'scaped the tank. I have decided to replace the driftwood with Manzanita wood, because the Malaysian driftwood is just plain fugly, and I can't see my shrimp. It just takes up too much space. I also found more babies! I thought I only had 3, but when I lifted the driftwood out of the tank, I counted about 10. I think I need to get a better survival rate. I've been slack on keeping up with tanks. I'm just now getting over being sick after 2-3 weeks and being gone a week before that.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Good to here that you found more babies :D and also that you are feeling better. The shrimp will love you for focusing on them again :-D
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Oh, and I got a ZooMed 501 filter for this tank, and I like it already!
Thanks for telling me about this great little filter :-D ! I bought one last night and just finished setting it up today. It is compact and yet fully fuctional. I slowed down the water flow for my display tank by putting fine sponge inside the inlet piece, I'm sure you know what I mean since you own one. It is also so quite and cleans so well :D .
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Neonshrimp wrote:
Oh, and I got a ZooMed 501 filter for this tank, and I like it already!
Thanks for telling me about this great little filter :-D ! I bought one last night and just finished setting it up today. It is compact and yet fully fuctional. I slowed down the water flow for my display tank by putting fine sponge inside the inlet piece, I'm sure you know what I mean since you own one. It is also so quite and cleans so well :D .
Yeah, I bet they work a lot better for shrimp tank and not for turtle tanks (which is what they are for :P). :lol:
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

I found another berried female this morning! Looks like she had just become berried as her ovaries were emptied.

Also, anyone in here ever see the individual eggs in the ovaries? I can see them in some of my female snowball shrimp. Fascinating!!! :shock:

Everyone's still looking very well! *KNOCK ON WOOD* The filter's still kickin' butt!!!

I also bought some natural sea sponges this evening. (PM me if you want to know where I got them.) I'll prep them and put them first in the 20 gallon long, and then I'll put them in the snowball shrimp tank.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Great news = more babies :-D ! I really do want to get another of these filters soon.
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

AnneRiceBowl wrote:I found another berried female this morning! Looks like she had just become berried as her ovaries were emptied.

Also, anyone in here ever see the individual eggs in the ovaries? I can see them in some of my female snowball shrimp. Fascinating!!! :shock:

Everyone's still looking very well! *KNOCK ON WOOD* The filter's still kickin' butt!!!

I also bought some natural sea sponges this evening. (PM me if you want to know where I got them.) I'll prep them and put them first in the 20 gallon long, and then I'll put them in the snowball shrimp tank.
Yay! Congrats on the eggs :) And I'm happy to hear that your shrimps are still healthy. And if I ever get a shrimp tank of larger size I will so buy that as they sell it at LPS and LFS here :)
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

AnneRiceBowl wrote:YAY!!!! I'll post when I see shrimplets.

The ZooMed 501 is a mini canister filter originally made for turtle tanks. They work great for aquariums up to 10 gallons (but the box says 30 gallon aquariums, but it doesn't have enough gph for it).
How do you prime this filter?
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

I think I just plugged mine in. I don't remember though.
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

milalic wrote:
AnneRiceBowl wrote:YAY!!!! I'll post when I see shrimplets.

The ZooMed 501 is a mini canister filter originally made for turtle tanks. They work great for aquariums up to 10 gallons (but the box says 30 gallon aquariums, but it doesn't have enough gph for it).
How do you prime this filter?
This should help:
Start-up/operation

Priming the filter is achieved by simply filling it with water. This is easily accomplished via the removable "plug" in the top of the filter. Remove the plug, pour water in until the canister is full, then replace the plug. Like with most canisters, there is no off/on switch. Simply plug the power cord into an AC outlet and the filter will start immediately. It is quite noisy at start-up as it works to purge trapped air within the canister and hoses. It only takes a few minutes for all of the air to be forced out. Once all the air has been removed, the filter runs very quietly.

Because the 501 is designed for vivariums and smaller aquariums (< 30 gallons), it is not unexpected that the pump is not very powerful. It is actually advertised as a turtle filter. In fact, the pump is only rated at 80 gallons per hour. It is not powerful enough to place it underneath the aquarium like its larger cousins. Typically, one of the main advantages to an external canister filter is the ability to hide it within the cabinet of wooden stands or simply underneath a tank, which allows for the tank to be placed closer to the wall. The 501 has to be placed level with the tank it is filtering, which can present a challenge if you are trying to hide this filter yet keep the back of the aquarium close to a wall or some other structure.

Unlike larger canisters, this filter is not equipped with shut-off valves for disconnecting the hoses from the unit. Therefore, cleaning the filter is most easily accomplished by leaving the tubes intact and lifting the pump-head from the filter housing. The only problem with this method is remembering that any water remaining in the tubes will flow out once the pump-head is lifted.

Zoo Med claims this filter can run dry for 30 days without damaging the unit. The 501 also comes with a one year warranty.