"Black shrimp"...possibly Neocaridina sp. 'blue'?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Janthina
Egg
Egg

Post by Janthina »

Mustafa wrote:...judging from Janthina's descriptions, only the Neocaridina sp. seem to have reproduced. Maybe there was no male for the Indian shrimp to fertilize her eggs.
Yes, i believe this to be the case, i just didn't want to contradict anyone. Whatever species of shrimp this is in my tank, they're producing only similarly-striated offspring.

Time to clean off the glass and pull out the macro equipment...!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Janthina wrote:Yes, i believe this to be the case, i just didn't want to contradict anyone.
Don't worry about contradicting anyone. It's actually a good thing to contradict people if you think that their information is not accurate. And it's a good thing for them to contradict you if *they* think you are not presenting accurate information. It's all part of a healthy discussion and it's the only way we can learn from each other and also make sure that wrong information does not get disseminated. At the end of all this contradiction and discussion hopefully the truth (or something close to it) will come to light. It's all good, so contradict ahead anytime you see it fit. :)
BlauerDrakken
Egg
Egg

Re: "Black shrimp"...possibly Neocaridina sp. 'blu

Post by BlauerDrakken »

Janthina wrote:I recently found some shrimp at a LFS that were shipped in with an Asian order and probably wild-caught, labeled 'Black algae-eating shrimp'. Most of them are juveniles but i got some pics of the two larger specimens. Any ideas as to what they might be? Neocaridina sp. 'blue' is my first guess but i'd love to hear from those more qualified to determine such things.

Sorry about the poor image quality--they're very active and swim about far more than my other shrimp.

Thanks,

Cara
The image quality looks great to me... I can't be of any help in identifying them, sorry... but I would like to know how you take your pictures. I've looked for a long time for a way to get a good, quality picture of my tanks, and have had NO success.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

For picture taking tips I have been checking out the Photography section of the Non-shrimp related area. I too have been trying to learn how to take pictures of my shrimp so I can finally post some pictures :P I just got my camera and am trying what people are recommending on the photo pages. So keep a look out because my pictures are coming to a thread near you :D !
Janthina
Egg
Egg

Post by Janthina »

Ok, here are some new pics of mediocre quality, but maybe they can answer the question about what these guys are. They're definitely reproducing in my tank because i'm up to ten or so of these guys from the original three, and i saw a berried female yesterday (but alas, did not get pics).

Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

These are actually some nice pictures, thanks :) . I think they do look alot like the Neocaridina sp. 'blue' pictured in the shrimp varieties section. try to get pictures of the berried female if you can.
gabeszone
Egg
Egg

Post by gabeszone »

These shrimp look a lot like a Japanese Minami. Im from Japan by the way. Heres a picture.Image
Last edited by gabeszone on Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
gabeszone
Egg
Egg

Post by gabeszone »

Heres another shot of a male, and a yellow shrimp that is breed from these shrimp. Im for real its the same shrimp.Image
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

These shrimp look a lot like a Japanese Minami. Im from Japan by the way.
Hi Gabe,

Is there a translation for the name? Do you have any other information about the shrimp's scientific classification, origins, requirements?

The pictures are very nice by the way, thanks.
gabeszone
Egg
Egg

Post by gabeszone »

Neocaridina denticulata
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

So it is related to the Cherry Red Shrimp (Neocaridina denticulata sinensis (red)).
Last edited by Neonshrimp on Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
gabeszone
Egg
Egg

Post by gabeszone »

Yes, and breed just like them. Hardy and can handle the same water temps, and PH levels like the cherry.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

gabeszone wrote:Neocaridina denticulata
Neocaridina denticulata denticulata native to Japan to be precise. *However*, as many japanese also keep the red cherries, these two species (subspecies) have mixed with each other frequently and it should be pretty rare to find pure N. denticulata denticulata strains in hobbyists tanks, unless they just caught them out of some river closeby. But even then I have heard reports that many populations of N. denticulata denticulata in in the wild in Japan, may have already ben "polluted" with N. d. sinensis genes due to people carelessly throwing their pets into local rivers.

Having said that...all Neocaridina sp. look very, very similar to each other, so it's next to impossible to say which exact species you have by just looking at a given shrimp. So, it's not a good idea to decide that whatever Janthina has are N. denticulata denticulata. We just don't know what Neocaridina sp. they are, although it's obvious that they are a Neocaridina sp., and that's really the best answer.

Just an FYI. :)
Last edited by Mustafa on Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for the clearification Mustafa. There have been post about this shrimp in other forums recently but no clear answer until now, thanks :)