newbie question

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

patter
Larva
Larva

newbie question

Post by patter »

Hello there,
I've got 5 red cherries and they are breeding. Now I have many cherries :-D but I'm confused - half of them are colored but the other half are not. First I think that males are not colored but now (after reading of internet articles) i'm not so sure. Is it possible my cherries to be not "pure blooded" ?
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

Males have very little red on them. Females may have little red as well, especially young ones. They are quite variable. If you can post a picture of the shrimp, someone here can probably sex it.

From what I understand, Red Cherries are a somewhat unstable breed. Parents with significant red may have less red children.
Last edited by Bradimus on Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patter
Larva
Larva

Post by patter »

o.k. I'll try to make some pictures. There is another difference - the colored shirmps are "unactive" they just stay near to the filter. Colored ones are in move - they swiming in all tank
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

Do you mean the uncolored ones move around the tank? I think it is common for male shrimp to be more active while females tend to hide better.
patter
Larva
Larva

Post by patter »

whoops sorry. You are right - I meant uncolored