I think somebody goofed

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

bludusty
Egg
Egg

I think somebody goofed

Post by bludusty »

Being new to shrimp keeping, I am not familiar with all the species except for Cherries and Crystal reds. The big one on the left and the two on the right were sold as "redtails" Its easy to see they are not even the same species. Can someone identify them for me so I can read up about their care? Image[/img]
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Actually here is a thread where a fellow member, bochr, posted picture of their shrimp that were also called "Red Tail Shrimp". The look alot like yours and bochr also listed the parameters at which he keeps them healthy.
viewtopic.php?t=2367&start=0
bludusty
Egg
Egg

goof

Post by bludusty »

Is the larger one on the left an Amano?
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

No, it is not an Amano, although the reddish brown dots could make someone mistake it for one.
Jose
Egg
Egg

Post by Jose »

Here in The Netherlands there is a shrimp we call red tail shrimp, but that's not even close to this...

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The shrimp with the dots is a shrimp in the Caridina serrata species complex, along with the bee shrimp, crystal red, tiger shrimp etc. It does have an orangish tail, which seems to be typical for this group of shrimp. I have had these guys for a few months now. I had bad luck and only got a single female, so we'll see if I can manage to get her to breed. So far they had to share a tank with the amazon glass shrimp and my three Euryrhynchus sp. females. That might explain why I saw eggs, but no young. They are in their own tank now and we'll see if the female (which is wild caught and hence of undetermined age) will survive long enough to produce some young.

I personally like these guys despite their subdued colors. The shrimp in the pic above is very stressed out. They are not milky colored like that when they are healthy and active. Is this the only one of its kind you got?
bludusty
Egg
Egg

Post by bludusty »

I have 5 of them along with two of the honey colored ones. I thought they colored up pretty well considering they were all just clear and pale when I purchased them. I expected them to all be the same species and clearly they are not. I have them in with cherries and one bee shrimp. Will they interbreed? From what you said, it seems they are not as hardy as the cherries. PS, they love shrimp pellets as you can see. Yum-yum.
Last edited by bludusty on Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

I am not very sure WHAT they are but they look very nice!!
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

You said it correctly RCSGuy, they do look very nice!!

Please let us know what water parameters/conditions you keep them in.
I hope you can breed them and get more of them out into the hobby :-D
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

RCSGuy wrote:I am not very sure WHAT they are but they look very nice!!
agree
nice little shrimp
bludusty
Egg
Egg

somebody goofed

Post by bludusty »

I have them in a 2-1/2 gal tank with lots of java moss. My water is artesian well water, rock hard with lots of iron and limestone. I did lose several of them when I first purchased them but these seem to be doing fine now. The ones I lost were like the lighter honey colored ones shown in the first photo, not the spotted ones.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks bludusty, I also wondered how many males/females you have. Have you seen any of the females with saddled ovaries? I just hope you can breed them :wink:
bludusty
Egg
Egg

somebody goofed

Post by bludusty »

No obvious females yet. I do hope they will survive and reproduce as well as my RCS have done. I tried CRS and lost all 20 of them. My water was probably too hard for them. I felt badly about losing them but we learn from our mistakes.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Not knowing these shrimp, it is just a guess, but most of the ones you pictured seem to be females to me. I see what appears to be a ghost of the ovaries going down their backs.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

It is hard to tell but I thought that was the gut after feeding.