Plant Fertilizers & Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

PunaDJ
Egg
Egg

Plant Fertilizers & Shrimp

Post by PunaDJ »

Hello Fellow Petshrimpers!

Do any of you use plant fertilizers in your shrimp tanks? Any detrimental effects to the shrimp? Which brands do you use? Thanks for any experiences you care to share.... :D :!:
brbarkey
Larva
Larva

Post by brbarkey »

Yup I use plant ferts...mostly seachem products. The only thing to be cautions of would be copper content in ferts. Copper kills inverts

Ben
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

In the past, I have used most of SeaChem's and Kent's lines as well as my own mix. All I use now is fishfood.

If you have growing, healthy plants and you follow the manufacturer's instructions, there should be no trouble. Any potentially dangerous heavy metals will be taken up by plants or bound by the substrate (assuming you have a decent substrate).
rs79
Egg
Egg

Post by rs79 »

I have some high light tanks and fertilize heavily. Cryptocoryns will melt from nitrates in fertilizer long before shrimp will be harmed.

Most aquarium fertilizers don't contain any nitrates anyway, just potassuim, iron and trace elements.

But, bottom line, don't sweat it. Anything safe for the plants is safe for the shrimp.