Crystal Ball

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Crystal Ball

Post by beckypyyeung »

Recently I've seen tiny shrimps in crystal-ball-like tanks again. I saw the same many years ago. Now it's still very expensive - US$250 for one crystal ball.

I've viewed them carefully. You can't feed the shrimps. It's sealed tight. There is no real plant inside. There are sand, one artificial plant (made of cloth) and a few shrimps. The shrimps look like cherries, but they're much more "red" than the cherries we can see every day. I wonder how and how long they can survive inside. The price is like daylight robbery. Besides, I've discovered something - the shrimps inside are very active, they always swim here and there. Their size looks like juvenile shrimps.

Anyone knows what they are?
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

It sounds like you are describing hawaiian red shrimp (opae ula) that are inside glass ecospheres. You can read and learn more about the shrimp and the conditions they are subjected to in the shrimp varieties section.
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

I read Mustafa's article on Hawaii Red Shrimp a moment ago. Oh ! It turns out that it's a torture design :cry:

I've only seen a lot of cherries in fish shops, but never Hawaii Red. If they're so hardy and can live up to 20 years, really want to have some. According to the photos, it seems that both species look more or less the same. How can I tell them apart?
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

You can tell them apart by there basic body shape, there is a distinct difference. Also, the eyes of the adult opae ula are very small.

I am going to say it again, these are a great little shrimp and worth keeping and breeding :D
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Thanks Neonshrimp ! Now I see.

Let me try if I can find this species in fish shops. :wink:
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

I visited the fish street yesterday but found no Hawaii Red Shrimp :smt102
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I have had the same experience where I am from. I can't find them in the stores. I think you can only find them through mail order or you need to find someone who keeps these shrimp.
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Oh, but unfortunately none of my friends keep shrimps.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

These are truly difficult to get outside of the USA.