Snails in soft water

This forum is read-only.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

This is all about money, just like drugs are. There is too much money and influence in drugs to ever seriously stop it. The reason the USDA is doing this is to make it look like they are being responsive to the wealthy rice farmers that donate to the corrupt politians.

Cana snails actually have caused a great deal of economic damage to rice and taro crops. If you ever raised canas you would understand how devestating they could be. An adult female cana can get to be softball sized and can eat several ounces a day. Each female can lay 1000 eggs a week, and most of the babies can survive in the right conditions. They eat anything green, and lots of it. These are more than the aquatic equal to the Giant African Land Snail and are now classified together in the USDA's most wanted list. Oddly enogh, both snails are legal to own as long as you can prove you had them before the ban went into effect. You just can't move them across state lines. You do need to check to see if your state has laws against ownership though. Many states do.

Before the ban I bought 4 canas, 1 male and 3 females. Bt the end of the season I had shipped out 1000 silver dollar sized young. I no longer have any. When the restrictions went into effect I found good homes for them locally.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

:shock: Wow, Cana snails are huge and can be a big problem! I can understand this but why are they picking on the other snails? I guess you answered that in the above post, $$$.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

The reason they are banning all apple snails and all land snails is that the USDA inspectors don't know beans about snails and can't tell one species from another. Because they won't educate themselves, they ban them all.

Typical lazy government crap.