My big Atya gabonensis ...

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

How did I miss this thread?

Beautiful shrimp and fantastic photos.

I only hope that these become readily available in the U.S. soon
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

They are, but they cost a lot and are pretty stressed by the time you get them.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

The LPS around here will order them for you under the name
Vampire Shrimp and like badflash said they are not cheap.
Gaua
Egg
Egg

Post by Gaua »

Thanks for your comments!! I'm also learning a lot ...

Today I found the female in her favourite place, under a great group of Java fern ... she was cleaning her front legs, but she didn't use them, I think she can't spread the fans totally yet ...

And I have seen their first marital argument!!! :( .... the male wanted his resting place under the plants all for him, and when the female get closer, he kicked her off! With very strong kicks of one of his big legs ... the ones which have small spines ...
The poor one had nothing to do against him, so she escaped quickly to a quieter place ...

They seem to not get on with each other yet ... Each one wants his-her own space, which is limited by the tips of their antennae. They don't fight each other, but the male doesn't want the female to get so closer!

I took another pic of the newly molted female .... this is not the damaged part, I haven't seen it properly yet ..

And some good news! When I bought her, half of her left antenna was missing ... but when she molted for the first time, she recovered part of it, and now, after the new molt, it is totally grown!
The new male has also a broken antenna, I think he will recover it like the female did ...

I have also noticed another thing after the molt .... When I bought the female, she didn't have any nails at the end of her legs ... But after her first molt (and now, too), she shows a beautiful sharp nail at the end of all her legs ... :D

The new male has no nails, either ... You can see it in the previous photos ... :( So I suppose they are not well treated when captured ... poor little ones ....

Another pic of the female, making new friends ... :-)

Byes!
Cydric
Egg
Egg

Post by Cydric »

She is absolutely gorgeous! :D Very nice photography skills you have! I really like the picture of the molting, never seen anything like that.

Keep us updated! :wink: