Flurish Excel = Dead snails???

This forum is read-only.
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Flurish Excel = Dead snails???

Post by TKD »

Hi everyone,

Has anyone noticed that snails don't like Flurish Excel... at ALL?

It has kill off some of my MTS and Japanese trap door snails. The three briggs are ok but are not happy when I even put in the recommend amount in the tank (2 ml for 20 Gal)

It never affected the shrimp BTW.

Thanks,

TKD
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I never use ferts. I don't believe in them. Too many people have reported issues.

As far as brigs go, they are more sensitive that shrimp. I can tell by their behavior when Ihave a water issue comming on.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I'm with badflash on this one. I never use ferts of any kind. Shrimp and snail poop along with a quality substrate like Fluorite works wonders in my planted tanks. Even my crypts grow big and strong and healthy with no additional ferts.
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

I'm not using it as a fert... I using it to get ride of BBA.

It is very effective for that. This is in my planted tank BTW so only amano, wood and vamp shrimp are there... + the snails.

TKD
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

When I did have BBA increased water changes and lowering the amount of light took care of it. Balancing the nitrates and phosphates is supposed to kill BBA for some reason, but so does going to 0/0.

I recently had some bad string algae that I accidentally found a cure for it and pond snails as well as planaria. I moved some infested plants into a killie tank that I was using 2 tsp/gallon sea salt. In under a week the hair algae was gone, and the snails stopped breeding and there is no sign of the planaria. That would kill brigs, so they would need to find another tank. The cherry shrimp and ghost shrimp in the tank seem fine, but the cherries don't seem to be breeding.