Nikon Macro lens

This forum is read-only.
n00dl3
Egg
Egg

Nikon Macro lens

Post by n00dl3 »

What is a good lens for Nikon D100? I am looking to take pictures of my cherry shrimps, zebra plecos, and other small fish. I know I need a macro lens but which one? I was thinking either Nikon AI-S Fit 135mm MACRO or Tamron 70-300mm Di LD Macro or SIGMA 70-300 APO DG MACRO... thanks for the help...
Rainbowfish
Egg
Egg

Post by Rainbowfish »

hope you haven't shelled out the $$ for the lenses suggested yet. The AI-S 135 Nikon IS NOT a macro lens. At 1:7.5 you will be extremely upset when you see the final results. The other zoom lens have "macros" on the end but in the long run they are not going to be very effective either.
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by GunmetalBlue »

n00dl3, I'm not much of a gearhead ... but what about the Micro-Nikkor 105mm? I can get close enough to get full frame of adult dwarf shrimp (like the RCS).

Also, from what I understand, you can use Kenko extension tubes on the lens for an even more macro shot, like if you want to get a baby shrimp pic. Actually, I can take baby shrimp shots with the bare lens, it's just that I have to crop it a fair amount. Also remember the more macro/closer you go, the more you'll start losing depth of field in an already very short dof situation.

GB
wijnands
Larva
Larva

Post by wijnands »

The 105mm micro nikor is a nice piece of kit but perhaps a bit expensive. A more afforadble alternative would be a 90mm tamron.