Shrimp ID

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Shrimp ID

Post by milalic »

I got this shrimp from Puerto Rico. It is kinda hard to know if it is X. Elongata as I was told.

Thanks
wijnands
Larva
Larva

Post by wijnands »

It looks like it is but most of the other pics I've seen of Xiphocaris elongata look like it should have more yellow.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

That looks like an X. elongata with a broken-off rostrum. The rostrum must have broken off during capture/transport. Is this the only one you have or do all of them have this kind of rostrum?
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

Mustafa wrote:That looks like an X. elongata with a broken-off rostrum. The rostrum must have broken off during capture/transport. Is this the only one you have or do all of them have this kind of rostrum?
Mustafa,

I have more. I will see how they look. Is it bad if the rostrum got broken?

-Pedro
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

If the shrimp is feeding, it should be no problem. I have Macros that have lost rostrums in fights, and they grow back after a molt or two. If a shrimp is not hurt so badly it does not die, just about anything will grow back, even eyes.
Last edited by badflash on Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

If a shrimp is not hurt so badly it does, just about anything will grow back, even eyes.
Hope none of my shrimp have to experience this but it is good to know :-D
starrystarstarr
Egg
Egg

Post by starrystarstarr »

badflash wrote:If the shrimp is feeding, it should be no problem. I have Macros that have lost rostrums in fights, and they grow back after a molt or two. If a shrimp is not hurt so badly it does not die, just about anything will grow back, even eyes.
Holy Moly! I had no idea they had the ability to regenerate.