Hi everyone

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

dragonmoon
Egg
Egg

Hi everyone

Post by dragonmoon »

Hi I am new to the forum and inverts, I have been keeping fish for a number of years mainly plecos.... I am in the process of clearing my tanks of these and switching to other species.
I just picked up my first inverts this week I was torn whether to start with crays or shrimp but I caved and got some ghost shrimp to start and will get crayfish for other tanks in the new future :)
After only a couple of days I am beginning to wonder why I didnt make the change sooner. The ghost shrimp are so much more entertaining to watch :-D
I am already hooked and can see myself with several more shrimp species in the future
Cydric
Egg
Egg

Post by Cydric »

Congrats! Perhaps try out some red cherry shrimp if you're pleased with the ghost shrimp. RCS are easier to breed. They don't go through stages such as ghost shrimp.
pleco_breeder
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by pleco_breeder »

Hello,

I'm glad to see another newby, besides myself, making the change. I can't manage to bring myself to get rid of the plecos though. Too many years involved.

I agree about the cherry shrimp, I just got mine earlier today. And, I can honestly say that more than the tank occupants change. I'm not sure my nerves will ever recover :lol:

Larry Vires
dragonmoon
Egg
Egg

Post by dragonmoon »

Thanks guys :-D , I still have my panaques (2 L104 and 1 L190) Time will descide the outcome on those guys although the Royal is extremely aggressive and has killed a lot of other plecs.....
I would like some RCS and some Tiger shrimp at a later date... It will all depend a lot on room..My wifes piranha tank (plus one spotted raphael cat) managed to get living room space so I am confined to basement or bedroom lol Cant complain though shes put up with a house full of plecs and corys for a long time
shrimper Bob
Larva
Larva

Post by shrimper Bob »

i know what you mean, I started a few months ago with 5 ghost shrimp in my 55 gal community tank. Now I have a 15 gal shrimp only tank with over 50 RCS and 9 berried females. Yikes! Need more tanks!
Bob B.
dragonmoon
Egg
Egg

Post by dragonmoon »

hahaha mine are in a 20 gallon right now, I have a spare 30 gallon in the basement ( should move the hermit crabs into that one) I would have gotten more shrimp but thats all I could muster between 3 stores they were all out until the weekend :evil:
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Welcome dragonmoon, and congratulations on stumbling across the best hobby ever inverts! Specifically shrimp :D Ghost Shrimp are pretty cool to watch, but RCS look nicer, breed easier, and are less aggressive (yeah some Ghost Shrimp are known to be a bit mean and may even eat some baby RCS). I have a 5.5g tank that I've had since Jan.22, 2007 with RCS and I just had my first ever birth of baby shrimp from one of my females most I counted was 17, but I bet more are there!