Nikon N75

This forum is read-only.
shrimper Bob
Larva
Larva

Nikon N75

Post by shrimper Bob »

I recently acquired a Kikon N75 with a Nikkor 28-80mm lens. I looking at lenses now but is this a good camera for extreme close ups?.
Thanks Bob B.
shrimper Bob
Larva
Larva

Post by shrimper Bob »

Would the current 28-88mm Nikkor lens be ok? This camera has been in storage for over a year, will get some batteries today and find out.
Bob
wijnands
Larva
Larva

Post by wijnands »

N75 is a very decent film SLR so yes, that will be OK.

The 28-80 came in three versions, old style D, new style D and the G-type. The latter can be easily distinguished because it lacks an aperture ring. It's a mediocre lens. The d-type lenses, especially the new style model, are excellent lenses. However, they all don't focus very closely. You'll end up with a distance of about 40 centimeters and 1:4 reproduction at best.

In other words, you'll get a very, very tiny shrimp in the picture.

There's alternatives:
1. A macro lens or one that can double as that, 90mm tamron is excellent, Tokina has a 100mm (also sold as voigtlander, Vivitar and possibly other brands) nikon 28-105 is very usable (but only 1:2). Nikon also has an excellent 105mm macro but it's very expensive.
2. A makro filter such as a raynox dcr-250. Excellent results but focussing is tricky.
3. An extension tube, same problem as above plus you may loose metering
4. a reversing ring, very cheap, very extreme magnification possible but again, loss of metering and tricky to focus at first.

Hope this helps, if not please ask more questions either here or via PM.
shrimper Bob
Larva
Larva

Post by shrimper Bob »

Thank you!
The lens is G type, so I guess it will not work.
I pulled all my old film stuff out, Old Pentax manual 35mm, says MG one the body. I have several lens, one is macro. I'm not sure what all this means...Samyang automatic 1:2.8 f=28mm No.919013. The lens is probably useless as they won't work with the Nikon. The Pentax was always a pain to use. I have been digital for over 5 years now but never got to the SLRs. My digital an HP is useless for macro.
Do you think EBAY would be a good source for the lens you suggested? Right now I'm on disability from work with a badly broken arm. Finances are rather tight! Ha! Working with an SLR camera with one arm would pose a challenge!
Photography has always intrigued me, I'm fascinated with the macro shots of shrimp!
Thanks again, Bob B.
wijnands
Larva
Larva

Post by wijnands »

Depends on your location, if you're in the US there's excellent deals to be found on ebay. I just checked, there are no macro lenses listed at bargain prices at the moment.

You could buy a raynox set for around $50 but you need to be able to get quite close to the shrimps for that to work.

what kind of digicam do you own?
shrimper Bob
Larva
Larva

Post by shrimper Bob »

My digital is an HP photosmart 850, 4.1 MP with 8X optical zoom. The zoom is why I bought the camera as I was doing some wildlife photography at the time. The shutter delay can be maddening at times,like trying to take pictures of a hummingbird at a feeder. Macros focus on the camera does not work very good. I love the digital convenience though. I like to take a lot of pictures! Never really know which pic will be that great shoot till I view them.
Which do you prefer, digital or film?
Bob Bowman
shrimper Bob
Larva
Larva

Post by shrimper Bob »

How about this lens, Nikon 55 mm F3.5 macro lens with extension tube. It's used in excellent condition.
Bob
wijnands
Larva
Larva

Post by wijnands »

I personally prefer the convencience of digital. I switched from a Nikon Film SLR to a digital SLR last year and am having more fun with my photography hobby than I've had in years. But, DSLRs are expensive. I could only do the switch because I had an insane amount of overtime being paid out all at once.

If that 55mm is a Nikon then it's very tempting, those nikon micro lenses are extremyl good. Just remember that 55 without exentsion tubes means you need to be quite close to your subject already.

Also, which 55mm is it? Nikon's made quite a few versions over the years:
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/l ... 55%20micro

You could also check your manual if there's an adapter that allows standard threaded filters on that HP. Canon makes macro filters in a number of sizes, all standard thread, perhaps that's an option.
shrimper Bob
Larva
Larva

Post by shrimper Bob »

Thought you might be on to something with your suggestion about checking on my digital. The outer fixed barrel is threaded, which is odd.
The inner zoom part has no threads. I found nothing at HP's web site or online. I did update the firm-ware which was supposed to have a fix for batter levels. The camera is a real power-hog and still shuts off without warning when the bat. levels go to half.
Nikon lens with ext. tube got away from me, I'm still looking.
Thanks Bob
shrimper Bob
Larva
Larva

Post by shrimper Bob »

Found it!! After hours of searching I found a Tiffen Lens Adapter for HP Photosmart 850 - 43mm and a Raynox DCR-250 Super Macro Close Up Lens. Cost is $60 + shipping from Bugeye digital. Will probably be difficult to use but I keep all digital advantages.
What do you think?
Bob B.
wijnands
Larva
Larva

Post by wijnands »

I'd say go for it. Shrimps are tricky enough that you could easily blow a 36 exposure roll and only get 2 halfway decent pics.

I would keep that N75, it's a very nice film body and perhaps someday you'll have the cash to pick up a used D50.