Saddled Cherry?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

When the time comes, they will lay eggs. If they are not fertile, the eggs drop off in a few days. They are not like moties that die if they don't breed. (ref Mote in God's Eye).
Suzie Q
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Suzie Q »

Thanks, that is good to hear.
Suzie Q
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Suzie Q »

Sorry for the bump...

One of my female Cherries has a green saddle...does that mean anything?

This is what the rest look like:
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

Your question made me think of one too, regarding egg color. I've seen several different colors of eggs among both cherry shrimp and N. zhangjiajiensis females. Do different-colored saddles produce eggs the same color, or is the color of the saddle and/or the eggs determined by stage of development? Do the saddles change color after producing eggs? (Essentially a color indicator of breeding status...)
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

ToddnBecka wrote:Your question made me think of one too, regarding egg color. I've seen several different colors of eggs among both cherry shrimp and N. zhangjiajiensis females. Do different-colored saddles produce eggs the same color, or is the color of the saddle and/or the eggs determined by stage of development? Do the saddles change color after producing eggs? (Essentially a color indicator of breeding status...)
I too was wondering about this because on a few occasions I heard about different colors meaning whether or not they were fertile (brown, green, and yellow are some colors I know of). But don't quote me on this.