ooohhhh lotta eggs

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

thezone
Egg
Egg

ooohhhh lotta eggs

Post by thezone »

when i got home today i just notticed one of my bumble bees are big and plump with lotta eggs. My tank doesn't have a sponge filter so should I either turn off the filter for the time being or remove the mother? I'd get a sponge filter but there gonna close
theshrimp_123
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by theshrimp_123 »

Tough one. Um... I'd try my hardest to get a sponge filter. What i do is put the moms-to-be in my mini 1 gallon and turn on the airstone. It is planted and I've had a lot of sucess like this. They sell the tanks in Wal-Mart for about $10. Try it if you like.
thezone
Egg
Egg

Post by thezone »

hmmm how long do the eggs stay with the mother because the soonest i can get a sponge or another tank would tommorow afternoon. also the eggs are golden color if that means anything
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

Depends on the temp of the water, but the mother should carry the eggs for about 3-4 weeks.

You should be able to see little black eyes in the eggs before they are ready to hatch.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It's also kind of weird that the bumblebees have golden eggs. Are you sure you have bumblebees? They usually have greenish/brownish eggs. Do you have a picture of that female or can you take a picture?

Mustafa
thezone
Egg
Egg

Post by thezone »

:( I think the shrimp droped the eggs since I can't find the pragnant one anymore or the babies are hiding in the java moss but i doubt it. There are no traces of babies anywhere and i did a water change a couple days ago too so maybe the mother droped the eggs because of that. I took a couple pictures but they are soo blurry that you can't see the eggs really.
thezone
Egg
Egg

Post by thezone »

the eggs are where the redish spot is. What it looked like to me was like a dark golden orange when i saw them yesterday.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Although blurred, that looks like a bumblebee. If she dropped the eggs, then they were not fertilized or the water parameters were not to her liking.

By the way, next time you post a picture try to reduce the size of the file before posting (this pic is over 400k). 25-30k should be the norm. Otherwise it takes forever to load this page, especially when you have a 56k modem still (which I don't but some people might still have it).

Mustafa