Clithon corona?

This forum is read-only.
Leonard
Egg
Egg

Clithon corona?

Post by Leonard »

Hello!

I've bought some Clithon corona. I can't find any info about them exept this site (which isn't very describing): http://www.wirbellose.de/arten.cgi?acti ... &artNo=223

Any one who can tell me something about it? What should the water paraments be? How so I do to breed them? What do they eat? etc etc?

Most of mine are now in a Tanganyiak chiclid tank and they seems to do good in there! :) temp. 24C, pH 8.3 and KH 10
The other ones are in smaler tank with shrimps and other snails, with pH 7.6, KH 7 and temp. 25C.

As I've understand they first put their eggs above the water. When the eggs are hatched, the fry needs brachish water. After some time you have to make the water into freshwater again (like you do with Amano shrimps).
How much salt do I need in the water in the beginning and how fast should I reduce the salt level in the water?
pleco_breeder
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by pleco_breeder »

Hello,

My German is a bit rusty, but I can understand enough of that piece to know that it says they are marine/salt water tolerant. I would assume that a slow acclimation to freshwater, maybe 5% per day would be acceptable for something which obviously isn't going to migrate all that fast. Hopefully Mustafa, or another German speaking member can shine a bit more light on the info from that other page.

Larry Vires
JK
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JK »

Hi,

I have these in some of my tanks, they are quite happy in totally fresh water.

They should be ok in any hard water with an alkaline Ph.

Sadly they are not breedable in aquaria.

Most aquaria with good lighting will support a few of these without special feeding. They are wonderful algae eaters.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Not much info there really. Just that it comes from the indo-pacific, solomon islands, found in temporary ponds and in brackish water areas. Size 1.5 cm, closely related to the Neritina group. Then it is speculated that this snail is a marine snail that is freshwater-tolerant. Reproduction: "considered not possible, if at all, just like Neritina"

(My comment NOT on the site: The truth of the matter is that the species is euryhaline, i.e. it cannot be classifed as either marine or freshwater species but they are rather indifferent to salinity and can live at a wide range. Also, reproduction is through veliger larvae that need to reach marine water to develop.)
Last edited by Mustafa on Mon May 21, 2007 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Allex
Larva
Larva

Post by Allex »

JK wrote:They should be ok in any hard water with an alkaline Ph.

Sadly they are not breedable in aquaria.

Most aquaria with good lighting will support a few of these without special feeding. They are wonderful algae eaters.
Exactly, they live in fresh water and even lay some eggs. And they love diatoms, just like other Neritidae.
Leonard
Egg
Egg

Post by Leonard »

Thank you very mych! :)

Just what I thought. But then they aren't "impossible" to breed ;) It's like with Amanos and Neritinas, but I'm not that skilled to sucess.
I guess they also lay their eggs above water?

Mine have always been in freshwater and they seems to do well too. I don't know if it was these little snails who putted eggs on the glas of aquarium, but the eggs was white (1mm) and where spread on a bigger area (10-20 eggs). But the larvs never survived of course.
Anna
Egg
Egg

Post by Anna »

Hi Leonard and Everyone

Last month I posted a question here about nerite snails such as Clithon corona, asking if anyone could confirm their locations and breeding habits. None of us were completely sure. However, in the meantime I managed to contact an American who is an expert on this snail family (Neritidae) and have got some reliable information.

Clithon corona, Vittina coromandeliana (the striped or tiger nerite), V. semiconica (the spotted or ruby nerite), and Septaria porcellana (the freshwater limpet) are widespread throughout the Indo-Pacific region (with the exception of V. semiconica, which is confined to Indonesia). All of these snails generally live in freshwater as adults and feed on diatomaceous algae. They lay white eggs below the waterline on any hard surface. Numerous veligers (larvae) hatch from these eggs and are swept downstream to the ocean. Here they spend some time growing, and once they have developed into tiny snails they crawl back inland to live in the habitats of their parents. Most adult nerites are found in rivers and irrigation canals, where they can be present in large numbers and are collected for food or the beauty of their shells (and presumably to be sold to aquarists as well!).

Leonard, as I understand it, the main problem with breeding these snails is not adjusting the salinity, but feeding the young. The larvae spend some time at sea, where it is believed they feed on plankton. The expert I spoke to did not think that it was feasible for anyone to breed these snails in captivity :(

The only nerites that can be easily bred are those that have direct development, which means that the eggs hatch to give a tiny, fully-formed snail and not a veliger. One of the members on this site (Allex) breeds the European nerite, Theodoxus fluviatilis, in this way.

Hope this helps,
Anna
Leonard
Egg
Egg

Post by Leonard »

Thank you very much Anna! Very good to hear this!

I think I'm not going to try to breed these snails, as it almost seems to be impossible! Then it's better to put money on new shrimps or something ;) Thanks for info again!