Please help ID the 'Blue Crayfish'

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Please help ID the 'Blue Crayfish'

Post by pixl8r »

I picked up another crayfish from a LPS that I don't frequent. They had a tank of 'Blue Crayfish'. Shockingly, they had no idea which species it is. And to boot, it's a species that I'm not very familiar with.

I can tell you, it is much more skittish than my p. allenii. I call it Digger, since it can't leave well enough alone.

Here's a pic

I think that it might be a p. clarkii, but then from pictures I've seen, it could also be a c. destructor or c. quadricariinatus.

I haven't tried picking it up yet, I've only had it a few days, and don't want to stress it.
michiganmale248
Larva
Larva

Post by michiganmale248 »

Looks like a Cherax quadricarinatus to me.

Very nice crayfish. :D

Paul L
michiganmale248
Larva
Larva

Post by michiganmale248 »

You know this cant go in the same tank as the P. Alleni right?

Paul L
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

Right now they're both quite small about 2", and housed in a ~45g tank, with lots of hiding places. Once my new Macro tank is fully cycled, should be done in a week or so, the big shuffle begins.

Thanks for the help Paul!
thief
Larva
Larva

Post by thief »

I am no real expert but I do know about the cherax species and by the look of it this can be a Cherax lorentzi, or a common mixed gender of a red claw cherax. This is a beuty though. :D
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

Do any of you know of links to cherax species identifications? I'm not going to attempt breeding, but I would still like to know for sure.

Thanks!
FISH WORLD ERIE
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by FISH WORLD ERIE »

This looks like a red claw Cherax quadricarinatus. Very easy to breed and keep. Always keep a tight lid on their tank. They love escaping. I have kept this species before and they will breed easily as long as you have mail and female.

Jason