fry made it in my community tank

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

wijnands
Larva
Larva

fry made it in my community tank

Post by wijnands »

Spotted the first small fry in my community tank. Seems the lack of pruning of the bottom plants has helped.

pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

Congrats, those young are showing great colors, I think they have their mothers eyes. ;)
wijnands
Larva
Larva

Post by wijnands »

Yeah, he/she does look like his mother. I'm already proud enough that something has survived in that tank.
wijnands
Larva
Larva

Post by wijnands »

My son spotted two more today. After some careful observation we spotted three young in total. Two somewhat smaller ones. Indicates to me survivors from at least two pregnancies.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

That is Great News

Anyone that has Bee Shrimp Breeding is a Big Plus for the Hobby.

John
wijnands
Larva
Larva

Post by wijnands »

Hmm...

I got a plastic 10 liter tank. Just discovered a local shop that has tiny filters for next to nothing. I'm tempted to try and built a small breeding tank if I can find the space to put it.
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

wijnands,

With such a small amount of water, you will need to diligently and frequently check the health of the water. There is no margin for error, especially with shrimp being very vulnerable to ammonia and nitrates.
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

pixl8r wrote:wijnands,

With such a small amount of water, you will need to diligently and frequently check the health of the water. There is no margin for error, especially with shrimp being very vulnerable to ammonia and nitrates.
I definitely agree, pixl8r.

wijnands,

Why not go for a 10g tank? They are usually really cheap. Unless it's space that's an issue.

If space is the issue, you could look into the style of tank stand that has a 'bottom shelf' for a second tank.

-John
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

I also have to agree with Fisherman & pixl8r

In that small of a tank the water parameters can go south in no time.

If you choose to use it, make sure to keep up on the water changes and limit the number of Shrimp.

I think I have seen these tanks before, and another thing to think of is how you will catch the Shrimp to remove them safely.

John
wijnands
Larva
Larva

Post by wijnands »

Space is very much an issue. Find a good method to remove berried females from the tank is another issue.
apistomaster
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by apistomaster »

I have watched with some amazement as my RCS have been either accidentally or deliberately into other tanks, often during plant transfers, and have become established.

So far there are self-sustaining populations in various fry tanks, domestic Discus, Heckel Discus, Apistogramma, Corydoras, and fancy pleco tanks.
The Discus do eat the shrimp but do not eliminate them. They have proven to be resourceful. They really don't very much available cover in the 100 gallons of Heckel Water and ten Discus. They have also become established in the large sump of the wet/dry filter used on the Heckel tank. The return pump is a MagDrive 9.5 with a sponge prefilter covering the intake.
Then of course there are the dedicated shrimp tanks where the numbers of shrimp are amazing.

Breeding the Bee shrimp is a much greater acheivement. Congratulations on your success.
apistomaster
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by apistomaster »

Are these Bee shrimp or bumblebee shrimp? I don't see the difference but I would like to try them again. If there is a difference I want to work with the species that is the easiest to breed as a step up from the cherrys and intermediate before laying out big bucks for crystal reds.
I bought 20 Bee shrimp last Fall but even though I was home they were dropped off without knocking and sat out overnight. They were all alive the next day and I thawed them out gradually but they slowly died out over the following weeks.
wijnands
Larva
Larva

Post by wijnands »

Well, soon after my last post I found one of the first batch of beeshrimp had died.
I just back from vacation and when I fed 'm a bit of carrot as a treat this morning I noticed I know have not 3 but 4 adolescent sized shrimp marching around the tank! So I started out with 10 and should have 13 now.

Haven't noticed any berried females just yet.

I must say I really like these little guys and girls marching around the bottom of my aquarium. My tetras seem to have figured out who owns the bottom of the tank and as long as I stick to my water changing schedule all goes well.
Moni
Egg
Egg

Post by Moni »

wijnands, your shrimp in the picture are very cute. Congratulations on the young ones. What tankmates are in with these in your community tank and what plants do you have also? thanks Moni