H. rubra

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

That's what I call good documentation :o !
Daudin
Larva
Larva

Post by Daudin »

Hi,

today I discovered my first two free swimming larvae. I´m happy :-).

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

That's awesome news! Are they still alive? The larvae are more sensitive to water parameter problems than the adults, so having larvae does not always mean that they actually turn into shrimp. I really hope they do for you though as every captive population in the world will help spread these shrimp in the hobby. Good luck and keep the updates coming! :)
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

very nice pics
wow
Daudin
Larva
Larva

Post by Daudin »

Mustafa,

yes, larvae are still alive and their number is still plus minus the same, but I don´t know if they are the same larvae or they are another new larvae. Probably they are the same individuals because some larvae are probably in higher larva stage with roof breaked abdomen and their red coloration is paler. So far I didn´t discover metamorphosed individuals. I watch larvae almost 14 days. Is it normal? How long larvae develope and is possible to distinguish or watch single larvae stages? I know that larvae do not automatically mean success. Larva development and especially metamorphosis is very complicated process. I´m afraid of every change in my tank. I need to replenish evaporated water (about 5% tank volume)but I read about larva sensitivity to salinity changes.

I discovered two new berried females this week :-).

I think that the food was the reason of beginning of reproduction. No temperature, no salinity changes, no coral substrate addition and so on. After I started to feed then the shrimp started to reproduce. Now I feed shrimp mainly by normal fish pellets one or two times a day.

Zapisto,
thank you. Fot interest I make my photos by camera Panasonic DMC-FZ30.
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

let me also say congratulations! :D Those pictures are absolutely amazing. I especially like the ones of the mother with larvae hanging off of her - awesome.

Seeing those want to make me try the little Hawaiian shrimp, too. Sigh... so many shrimp, so little time (not to mention space) :lol:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Daudin wrote:So far I didn´t discover metamorphosed individuals. I watch larvae almost 14 days. Is it normal? How long larvae develope and is possible to distinguish or watch single larvae stages?
It takes about 2 weeks (+/- a few days) for the larvae to metamorphose into benthic postlarvae. A few days after that you might already see them picking on algae/aufwuchs. Yes, you can see the larval stages, especially the later ones (such as the mysid stage).
Daudin
Larva
Larva

Post by Daudin »

Mustafa,

thank you for infos. Maximal larvae number was eleven at the same time(what I saw). Just now I don´t see any larvae. A few days ago I found one death individual (I don´t know if it was larvae or postlarvae) and one live postlarvae. I think most larvae died :-(. I guess larvae were alive maximal about 20 days (24 - 28 °C).

larvae

postlarvae