Sudden Amano death

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Kush
Egg
Egg

Sudden Amano death

Post by Kush »

In the past 2 weeks I've had 3 Amanos die in a 29 gal. 2 were 1 1/2 '' plus in size and female. The other one was about an inch. The 2 larger ones had a blueish shine to them before the died.(?) The other one I found in some java moss. I never saw that one before it died. Traped maybe? I also have one with a missing eye. I do have loaches, rasboras, a SAE and an Oto in this tank. There were 6 to begin with and all were fine and producing eggs for 6 plus months. The 6 in another 29 are doing fine. I did have a cherry die in a 15 gal while all this was happening too. The rest seem ok.

Water test in the 29 went as follows:
Ph: 6
Ammonia, Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm
Gh: 6 degrees
Kh: .5 degees

Could the Kh be the problem here?

Mustafa, Thank you creating this forum!! I think it is much needed, as there is very little info on these guys. GREAT site too!!
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

Water with a Kh of 0.5 degrees is going to have wild pH swings, especially if you inject CO2. Have you tracked the pH over a 24 hour period?
Kush
Egg
Egg

Post by Kush »

Yep. No swings.
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

With Carbonate that low, I doubt your shrimp have sufficient calcium carbonate to molt. You may want to add some crushed coral to help with that.
Starringme
Egg
Egg

Hmm...

Post by Starringme »

About calcium... Is there any other way to increase the calcium in the tank?

Other than crushed coral?

I have seen my RCS molting b4 and the snails in my tank haf dark coloured shells.. Is the a good sign tt calcium is abundant in the tank?
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

There are many calcium supplements out there. Both SeaChem and Kent make them. Usually these are for marine aquaria, but you might be able to use them -- read the label first.

Many of the products used to reconstitute reverse osmosis water supply calcium carbonate. The cheapest solution, if you can find a source, is to buy calcium carbonate from a chemical supply company.

You might also try sodium-free baking soda. Some of these are calcium based. Some are potassium based.
alikhanweb
Egg
Egg

Post by alikhanweb »

Don't you think 20ppm of Nitrate is high for a Shrimp tank?