Lichen problem

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

marusempai
Shrimp
Shrimp

Lichen problem

Post by marusempai »

So, I just got some rocks from the LFS for my redclaw and snail tank... but when I washed them off I found that they have a bunch of lichen on them. Mostly orange, but some black, blue-green, and even a little pink. :shock: The question is, do I have to get it off before I use the rocks? Or is it ok? Would scrubbing with something bristley do the job, or do I have to bleach it or something? I don't want it to hurt my critters... :evil:
Cableguy
Larva
Larva

Post by Cableguy »

i've always just left it on the rocks i've gotten it on, bristlenose plecos love to eat the stuff, algae eating shrimp might too
Callatya
Egg
Egg

Post by Callatya »

I just used rocks with lichen in my tank, and it sent it into a mini-cycle. If it is a small quantity of rock in an otherwise stable tank, you might be right, but keep an eye on it :)
marusempai
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by marusempai »

Hmmm... well, I guess I can scrub them, but not worry about missing a tiny bit. The more I look at it, the more I dislike it anyway, it looks an awful lot like mold. :smt019
Callatya
Egg
Egg

Post by Callatya »

It might be worth asking around to see if anyone has a high pressure cleaner, and try hitting it with that. I soaked and scrubbed but that lichen stuff is pretty determined!
marusempai
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by marusempai »

I have been boiling it, then scrubbing it with a stiff brush, as long as you scrub while the rock is still warm it comes off without too much trouble.