Australian Shrimp ID

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

raggamuffin
Egg
Egg

Australian Shrimp ID

Post by raggamuffin »

Hi Guys,
In amongst an order of C. Longistrostris and C. Gracilirostris, I was also given (on purpose) a third species which we havn't yet identified. can anyone help us out? It was collected somewhere in Australias Norther Territory and seems to be happy in 26ºC.

Any one able to identify it?[/list]
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

i will not able help you much on the ID
but wow , what beauty you got there.
raggamuffin
Egg
Egg

Post by raggamuffin »

cheers mate, im very happy.
anyone got some leads for me in the id?
wklotz
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by wklotz »

Hi raggamuffin!
raggamuffin wrote:cheers mate, im very happy.
anyone got some leads for me in the id?
I have a lot of literature about North Australian Atyid shrimps. But it´s almost impossible to distinguish this species on basis of a (unsharp) photo!
We habe to look on a prepared specimen with the aid of a microscope for species determination (or to the mitochondrial DNA, well Mustafa ;-) )

Cheers
Werner
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

wklotz wrote: We habe to look on a prepared specimen with the aid of a microscope for species determination (or to the mitochondrial DNA, well Mustafa ;-) )

Cheers
Werner
Yes, I'm a big fan of genetic analysis. :-D Other than that, I also can't tell what species this could be just by photo evidence as I have never kept this shrimp. Photos are only useful if one has already identified a shrimp species by outward appearance (i.e. color, shape, etc.) and then is presented by someone else with a photo. Australian shrimp, especially the endemic ones, are not kept by anyone else outside Australia so it's very hard to identify them by picture. I hope this situation changes in the future and some Australian shrimp enter the hobby.
Australatya
Egg
Egg

Post by Australatya »

Looks similar to my Australatya striolata?

Does it have the "fan" feet?
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

Looks like it could be a Neocaridina species. Whatever it is, it's female.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Folks, wild guessing is going to bring us nowhere here. If you don't know, just admit it. It's obviously neither a filter shrimp nor some type of Neocaridina sp.. (Neocaridina spp. don't occur in Australia).

It's always a good idea to only venture an "educated guess" if you have some experience with the shrimp on the picture or a shrimp that might be similar to it from the same origin. As Australia has strict export laws for its wildlife I doubt any of us (outside Australia) has even kept this shrimp, unless, of course, it's a widely distributed shrimp in the indo-pacific region and has reached the US, Europe or Asia through exporters.