Shrimp - paint and glue?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

pugwonk
Egg
Egg

Shrimp - paint and glue?

Post by pugwonk »

OK, slightly odd question. I'd like to put some things in my tank that I've made, but I'm wondering whether the shrimp will be susceptible to enamel paint or glue. Am I right in thinking the enamel will be OK as long as it's got no copper in it? And will plastic cement be a problem?

Any ideas appreciated - especially if anyone else has any experience with glue/paint and shrimp.

Chris
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

It's very difficult to say that the products you used will be safe. The thing that many people do to ensure that their homemade work is OK to use a solid coating of marine epoxy. That is inert and will not allow any leaching.

It's not just copper that is bad. Many components or chemicals in paint could be toxic to shrimp. I would not be surprised to learn that enamel paints can leach substances into tank water.
pugwonk
Egg
Egg

Post by pugwonk »

Ah I see, many thanks. Would you know whether there are "shrimp-safe" paints available anywhere? Or is that a ridiculous idea? I haven't actually made the thing yet. :)

Chris
marusempai
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by marusempai »

Sculpey clay is supposed to be tank/invert safe. comes in a bazillion colors so you don't need to paint it, and it bakes hard in the oven. Note I have never actually TRIED this, but I distinctly remember hearing it somewhere, so it's a place to start looking.