10 gallon Halocaridina rubra tank?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

shrimpthing
Egg
Egg

10 gallon Halocaridina rubra tank?

Post by shrimpthing »

I have read a lot about these shrimp, and the threads on this message board have proven a great reference. I plan to set up a tank that my folks will eventually keep at their office.

Some questions
-I'd like it in the 8-10 gallon range. How many shrimp would be good to start with? Is their danger in starting with too few shrimp(I could see it being tough to feed them).
-does anyone here maintain a colony that they've actually been able to thin out? Seeing that most sources WC I am wondering if eventually breeders will be able to meet the demand for them, at least as pets instead of seahorse food.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, "a breeder" will eventually meet the demand. I'm working on it. :) There are really no other breeders who have started to offer these shrimp commercially.

My H. rubra have started to breed again after their stressful move and huge losses. You would be able to buy captive bred H. rubra now if I had not moved across the continent. Anyway, I had to "thin" out a 10 gallon with hundreds of shrimp and started two other colonies. Next time these tanks are thinned out they will be "thinned out" to other hobbyists. :-D

There is no danger in starting out with too few except for the fact that you may not find your shrimp in a large enough tank. Feeding is not an issue as these shrimp do not need much food...even less than other shrimp.
Last edited by Mustafa on Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Next time these tanks are thinned out they will be "thinned out" to other hobbyists.

I have been waiting to hear this for a long time :-D !