Pearl shrimp v Amano shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

JK
Shrimp
Shrimp

Pearl shrimp v Amano shrimp

Post by JK »

I've been looking at the shrimp varieties pages, and noticed that Pearl shrimps are noted for eating hair and string algae.

Does anyone have any experiences as to how efficient they are, especially when compared to Amanos.

Many thanks.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Unless you have huge numbers and feed them nothing but what they find in the tank, they will not control your hair algae at all. If you feed the tank anything, that is what they will eat, and not the string algae. I find that dwarf cajun crays are far better at that.

If you are looking at algae control, rather than the shrimp, get a pleco.
JK
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JK »

I don't have any algae issues currently, but was thinking of it more as a guide to Pearl shrimp behaviour. They obviously like a sandy substrate, but do they hunt for food like Amanos? By this I mean do they climb everywhere frantically clawing everything in their path?.........or do they just hide away.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

They will hide, but if you feed them they will frantically look for the food once they smell it just like most other Palaemonid shrimp (i.e. Macrobrachium, Palaemonetes etc.).
JK
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JK »

Thanks Mustafa,

They have not been available here for a few years, so I'll grab some while I can.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Hi JK

The Pearl Shrimp that I have do not hide all of the time and like Mustafa said, when they smell the food they come-a-runnin .

I find that they act similar to my Fuzzy Claw Macros.
As both are not out and about a whole lot, but when there is food
First come, first served.

They are a nice addition to any Invert collection.
John
JK
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JK »

Thanks John,

Have you had any success breeding them?...........and are they long lived?
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

I have a few offspring now.

But they grow very very slow.

If they grow this slow you could say that they are long lived.

Only time will tell how long they live when they grow to adult hood and start breeding.

John
lampeye
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by lampeye »

Mustafa wrote:they will frantically look for the food once they smell it just like most other Palaemonid shrimp (i.e. Macrobrachium, Palaemonetes etc.).
...or, once they've worked it out, every time you go near the tank. :D
Opopanax
Larva
Larva

Post by Opopanax »

These pearls are pretty cool. DO they come up for sale on this site often? I noticed the shrimp store currently doesn't list them at all.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Commercial questions don't really belong to this forum. I try to keep the forum separate from the commercial part of this website. As a rule, these shrimp are extremely rare and even if offered are (so far) always wild-caught and mostly in pretty bad shape.

As with many other species, I (and hopefully others) am going to try to change that over time by breeding sufficient numbers of these shrimp to distribute to other hobbyists.