Yellow Shrimp mixed in with Cherries

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

bpmox
Egg
Egg

Yellow Shrimp mixed in with Cherries

Post by bpmox »

About a month ago I ordered some additional cherry shrimp for my colony from a seller online, and last night I see a yellow shrimp swimming around the tank.

I'm fairly certain this yellow shrimp came in unnoticed as a juvenile, and that some of the cherries have mixed with yellows in the past.

My question is it safe to move this yellow shrimp into my yellow shrimp tank, or could it be carrying recessive cherry shrimp genes? It doesn't look like a hybrid, it looks like a pure yellow shrimp, and I don't want to keep it in with my cherries.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The dynamics of mixing the yellow variety of Necoaridina d. sinensis with the red one has not been researched and documented yet (at least not publicly). I myself have not done this experiment, so it will be hard to say in which ways mixing both varieties will affect the offspring and what genes they may be carrying. If you want to take the chance, you can put the yellow shrimp back with the other ones..if not, and you have another tank, you should keep that one shrimp separated. If you don't have another tank, you can always get a "fry saver" type of hang-in box/net and put the shrimp in there.
lampeye
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by lampeye »

Not sure if this account is reliable or not, but according to this one source, it seems the two colors are the results of two separate mutations. http://www.planetinverts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=167
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The issue is that I don't know of anyone who has actually gone further than F1 (=first generation offspring) and reported about it. So, the question is still out there how and when genes from the other mutation will be expressed.
lampeye
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by lampeye »

Just wanted to make sure bpmox was aware of that one.

Oh, how sweet it would be if there was no blending involved and one could have a tank of shrimp that would be either cherries or yellows. I'm not holding my breath, but I can dream. :)