Random Freshwater Snails and Crabs?

This forum is read-only.
PhilK
Egg
Egg

Random Freshwater Snails and Crabs?

Post by PhilK »

Hey all! I noticed today that on the glass of my water portion of the crab tank, there is alot of khaki scum-like algae. It's also on the rocks etc. Went to the petshop today and bought two 'freshwater snails' (no idea of species). Will these guys eat this scum?

Was going to buy a feeder crayfish (only small) in the hope he'd eat scum too but the pet store bloke reckoned the crayfish would attack the snails. Thoughts?
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Algae is a problem for many of us who have aquariums. From what I know there are a few snails that do a good job with cleaning algae, Nerites are one of these.

If you could post a picture of the algae and snails you have that would help us come to a solution.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Water changes and general cleaning are the best answer to this problem. Otherwise you end up like me. I started with a 10 gallon tank growing triops. I went to a pond to get them some live food. I ended up witha very interesting plant (riccia) that grew like crazy and started selling it. Then it got algae, so I got some shrimp to eat the algae. They didn't work, but got hooked on the shrimp. Then I got some endler's live brearers, got hooked on them too, and they didn't work either. Got some dwarf crayfish for planaria and pest snails. That didn't work and got hooked on them. Once you start down this road, no telling where it will end. I have a 300 gallon pool in my basement and more tanks than I'm willing to admit too.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Once you start down this road, no telling where it will end. I have a 300 gallon pool in my basement and more tanks than I'm willing to admit too.
:lol: This is so true! But good thing for us you went down that road.
fishbone
Larva
Larva

Post by fishbone »

Talk about being WAY late on this topic :lol: I haven't been on these boards lately.
What worries me is this: the word "freshwater" and "crabs" in the same paragraph. RARELY will you ever get a TRUE freshwater crab. Most, if not all, are brackishwater crabs. What species, exactly do you own? I would advise, for their long-term well-being and avoidance of premature death, that you slowly increase the salinity of your water over a few weeks until you convert to low-end brackish.

That being said, the only easily-available snails that can be acclimated to brackish are malaysian trumpet snails. They are OK as far as algae eaters goes.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Olive nerites are also easy to acclimate to salt water of any degree up to full sea water. I've done it.
PhilK
Egg
Egg

Post by PhilK »

fishbone wrote:Talk about being WAY late on this topic :lol: I haven't been on these boards lately.
What worries me is this: the word "freshwater" and "crabs" in the same paragraph. RARELY will you ever get a TRUE freshwater crab. Most, if not all, are brackishwater crabs. What species, exactly do you own? I would advise, for their long-term well-being and avoidance of premature death, that you slowly increase the salinity of your water over a few weeks until you convert to low-end brackish.
They are 100% freshwater crabs. They are found 100s of kilometres inland from the coast in Australia. The nearest saltwater is 100s of kilometres away. They live in dried up creek beds that flood annually during the wet season.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Japanese trapdoor snails do a fair job of algae eating and they would be pretty safe from the crabs with their trap doors. Regular cleaning is the best solution though.
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

badflash wrote:Japanese trapdoor snails do a fair job of algae eating and they would be pretty safe from the crabs with their trap doors. Regular cleaning is the best solution though.
Not realy, I have a bunch are they eat pelets and anything before they eat the algea. I think of them like corries.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

That is true of just about any animal. Algae is the last thing on their list. The problem with fish is the crabs get them.