New Indonesian Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

JK
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JK »

So, let's all be responsible. We need to establish captive populations of these shrimp (and others). Let's all be honest to ourselves and evaluate if we really have enough experience with shrimp to tackle the job. It won't hurt to wait a little until captive-bred shrimp are offered for sale. It's good for the wild populations and good for us as we don't have to worry that these shrimp will disappear from the planet at some point.
Well said Mustafa, you have only got to look at the recent frenzy over galaxy rasbora and the damage it caused. On the bright side, by the time we have captive stocks available there should be much more info around , so success rates should improve .
wklotz
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by wklotz »

Hi Mustafa!
Mustafa wrote: So, let's all be responsible. We need to establish captive populations of these shrimp (and others). Let's all be honest to ourselves and evaluate if we really have enough experience with shrimp to tackle the job. It won't hurt to wait a little until captive-bred shrimp are offered for sale. It's good for the wild populations and good for us as we don't have to worry that these shrimp will disappear from the planet at some point.
:smt023 :smt023 :smt023
Full ACK Mustafa!

Cheers
Werner
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

Mustafa wrote:
zapisto wrote:
hi werner.
yep that's really a important information.
do you mean they will not survive without this substarte or the color will disapear without this sponge ?
That's not necessarily the case. In my opinion that's actually highly unlikely. The shrimp eat diatoms/algae on the sponge, not the sponge itself. I'm pretty sure that they can eat diatoms/algae/biofilm off of other surfaces.
good to know.
Mustafa wrote: Werner and I are probably two of only a handful of people who actually care about the fact that these shrimp may disappear if exporters keep catching them and sending them all over the world.
in the commercial field yup
but i think lot of hobbyist here are thinking the same way, well , i really hope.
it is why i ask the question.
Mustafa wrote: So, let's all be responsible. We need to establish captive populations of these shrimp (and others). Let's all be honest to ourselves and evaluate if we really have enough experience with shrimp to tackle the job. It won't hurt to wait a little until captive-bred shrimp are offered for sale. It's good for the wild populations and good for us as we don't have to worry that these shrimp will disappear from the planet at some point.
100% agree
sstimac
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by sstimac »

The black shrimp is just gorgeous. I would kill for a dozen of them.
There are just so many gorgeous types of shrimp, I wish I could set up more tanks for them. All of the shrimp on that page are remarkable.

:cry:
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Re: New Indonesian Shrimp

Post by Newjohn »

It looks like these are becoming available here in the states now.
And at a nice price.

I just hope that they will be tank Raised offspring available soon, to help keep the Wild Population from being over collected.

John