Any crayfush need air?

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

Fishguy2727
Egg
Egg

Any crayfush need air?

Post by Fishguy2727 »

Any crayfish NEED any air? The owner at the LFS I work at says what he understands is that they need access to air (such as shallow water with a turtle platform). I asked him more and he said he understands that they go through phases and that in some phases they need air and others they don't.

Any truth in any of this?
Do ANY species need air?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Re: Any crayfush need air?

Post by badflash »

Access to air doesn't hurt, but they don't need it. They do need air in the water. A species ID would help. Some crays can spend quite a while out of water as they go from one pond to another.
Fishguy2727
Egg
Egg

Post by Fishguy2727 »

But none of them need it? Obviously they need oxygenated water, but not air?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

None that I keep or know that anyone else keeps. O2 in the water, but not access to air.

There are species that build mud cones and spend time above the water line, but this does not appear to be a requirement. They have gills and not lungs.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The store owner probably tried to say that there ar species of crays out there that are more terrestrial than aquatic and it would make no sense to keep these crays in an aquarium. Such crays spend most of their time underground, forage on very wet "lawns" and build "chimneys" that are visible as little mounds. The species regularly in the hobby are all fully aquatic.