Lowest temperature you've kept CRS?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Finley
Egg
Egg

Lowest temperature you've kept CRS?

Post by Finley »

Hi

What's the lowest water temperature that you have seen CRS thrive and breed?

Thanks,

Finley
nwinverts
Egg
Egg

Re: Lowest temperature you've kept CRS?

Post by nwinverts »

I keep all three of my CRS tanks as close to 73-74F(23c) as I can. They have dropped as low as 70 and as high as 76... My CRS have flourished. How much of this is temp alone, I couldn't honestly say. I do know that with all my inverts I have had far more problems when the temps have climbed too high.

My water comes out of the tap at a PH of 6.7 and lowers in my tanks to remain at a consistent 6.5.

I know this was a bit of a non-answer, but we all know there is a lot more that goes into this than temperature alone.

Mark
Finley
Egg
Egg

Post by Finley »

That's actually a good answer Mark, thanks. We'll see what others have to say too..

Finley.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

In their natural habitats (in the natural habitats of their ancestors that is) these shrimp start breeding when temperatures are above about 68 degrees Fahrenheit. However, there were reports of ovigerous females found at about 55.4 degrees Fahrenheit (13 degrees Celsius). Most likely these females became ovigerous when the temperatures were higher, though.
jeej
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by jeej »

My shrimp are more active at lower temps. A friend claimed that at lower temps there is more oxygen in the water and that would contribute to them being more active - but I dunno!
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

That is true, the water holds more oxygen when cooler but when you get to a certain point (extreme) the cold effects them in other ways (slows their matabolism/beeding).
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

jeej wrote:My shrimp are more active at lower temps. A friend claimed that at lower temps there is more oxygen in the water and that would contribute to them being more active - but I dunno!
They are actually more active at higher temperatures, like all other animals. 73-78 degrees should be a good range for keeping and breeding.
bochr
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by bochr »

The summer 2006 I keept CRS outside on my balcony in 65 liter plastic tubs.
The shrimps were moved outside june 18th when the water temperature was around 22°C (71.6°F).
In july and august the temperature changed up and down from 16,5-28°C (61.7-82.4°F).
September 1st the temperature was down to 17,4°C (63.3°F).
October 14th the temperature was down to 15°C (59°F).
October 18th the temperature was down to 12,1°C (53.78°F) and i moved the shrimps inside again.
There was a single female carrying almost developed eggs.
October 21st she released the shrimplets.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for sharing the experience with us. So were there any die offs that you noticed during the time they were outside? Has the population grown with more berried females? I hope it goes well for you and please keep us updated.
bochr
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by bochr »

I moved 8 shrimps outside. 3 of them died during the summer.
The only hatch i got from the outdoor shrimps, was from the female shown above.
Indoors they were breeding reguraly.
December last year all the shrimps were sold, and I moved to Thailand.
We have day temperatures way over 30°C and an unstable supply of electricity, so I won't get any CRS again, before i move back to Denmark.
There are more pictures of the CRS here: http://www.aquabo.dk/index.php?id=28&pid=2