Waste Control supplement

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

grimvixen
Egg
Egg

Waste Control supplement

Post by grimvixen »

Hello! I'm new to the forum and have been keeping shrimp for just over a year now.

I have some white slime on the gravel on one side of my shrimp tank, probably due to me overfeeding a bit since we added some pygmy cories and endlers. I've used a product called Waste Control by Nutrafin in my other non-shrimpy tanks, but I'm not sure if it's safe for shrimp. There are no ingredients listed on the bottle, and I can't find them online. Anyone know about this product?

Much thanks in advance,

J.
nwinverts
Egg
Egg

Re: Waste Control supplement

Post by nwinverts »

Hi grimvixen,

Welcome to the forum. I think you’ll find that most of us here keep our shrimp in shrimp only tanks. Fish in a shrimp tank bring a host of challenges for your shrimp, of which waste production is just one. (Please see article on beginners FAQ) This place is a storehouse of info, most answers are just a site search away. :wink:

I ONLY use a declorinator in my tanks.( Seachem Prime) Introduction of any chemical to an inverts tank can be deadly to your shrimp.

In your case I would remove fish, carefully vacuum gravel in problem area of tank. and cut way back on feeding.

If you have been keeping shrimp for a year your obviously doing something right or you would have given up already. Make a couple small adjustments and keep up the good work.

Mark
jeej
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by jeej »

The best way to control waste is not to help create it in the first place.

I also use Seachem Prime as water treatment in my shrimp tank and also Geo Liquid for invertebrates to help maintain a healthy balance in my tank (it is 100% natural and makes my water crystal clear too).
grimvixen
Egg
Egg

Post by grimvixen »

The slime is clearing up on it's own. I won't need to treat the tank after all.

I do keep tidy tanks-- I just misjudged the amount of food my new additions would require; a mistake I won't likely make again now that I'm more familiar with the new dynamics of my little community. Live and learn.

Thanks for your input.

Grim
grimvixen
Egg
Egg

Post by grimvixen »

Good news-- after a water change and a little bacterial supplement, the slime is almost completely gone :)

I wonder if there are any critters out there that actually eat the stuff. My apple and nerite snails passed right over it.

Grim