Pics of my rescued OPAE ULA in a goldfish bowl

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

ernopena
Larva
Larva

Pics of my rescued OPAE ULA in a goldfish bowl

Post by ernopena »

Here's two pics of my tank of rescued opae ula. They originally came from 3 cheap "ecosphere"-type jars.

I rescued all 14 shrimp from a friend's parents' house over 2 months ago and placed them in this old 1 gallon goldfish bowl. The water is half old water, half new water (which was equal parts pre-mixed seawater from a local shop and distilled water). The black lava rock is the original rock, and the sand is from Point Dume beach here in Southern CA.

They're doing fine so far. None have died, and every night they're actively swimming around.

I looked on other websites for tips on feeding them. So far seaweed sheets (like that for sushi), Hattori algae discs, kernels of rice, and spirulina flakes have all failed. I now feed them this spirulina powder I found at a Whole Foods Market in Santa Monica.

It was $19 for a 5oz jar of 100% pure spirulina powder, which seems like the exact same stuff Fukubonsai sells for much more. Instead of floating it on top, I mix it into water and drip it in. I take a shot glass, fill it half way with distilled water, and with a scoop made from a cut coffee stirring straw, I scoop out a mass of powder equivalent in size to a smaller shrimp and stir it into the water. Once it turns a blue green color, I slowly drip the liquid into the tank, watching the spirulina water drift down to where the shrimp are.

I feed them like this once a week, every sunday morning. By sunday evening, they are all gorged on spirulina, as evidenced by the noticeably darker "guts" visible through their thorax. The following monday morning I usually find 3 or 4 molted exoskeletons on the sand.

After I move this month, I plan on relocating them into a larger breeding environment, a 3 gallon betta tank to be filled with some Point Dume sand and lots of Hawaiian black lava rock.

It's been real interesting 9 weeks so far. These opae ulae have been really fun to take care of...

To everyone else with opae ula tanks, please post pictures of your tanks...

thanks
Last edited by ernopena on Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
8x10
Larva
Larva

feeding Opae Ula

Post by 8x10 »

Thanks for the tip on how you feed the powder. Mixing it does seem like a good idea. I am going to try that next feeding day for my opae ula

You can also find this powder at almost any health food/ vitamin place.
tapmxt1
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by tapmxt1 »

I bought my "PURE SPIRULINA POWDER" at $11 a pound (or $6.5 for 1/2 pound if you need a smaller quantity) on internet along with flakes, and other stuffs. So the shipping does not look terrible.

I feed it to shrimps. I mixed SPIRULINA POWDER with clay powder and KRILL powder ($9.95 a pound), add only small amount of water, make them to small balls, let balls dry for a day or two. Then I drop the balls to the shrimp tanks. Shrimps like it.

I also use it to culture daphnia when I run out of green water.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thank you for setting a great example for those who did not know better about caring for these shrimp! :D
StrikERZ
Egg
Egg

Re: Pics of my rescued OPAE ULA in a goldfish bowl

Post by StrikERZ »

I hope it's alright to bring up an old topic...

I'm new to the forum, and was brought here by the page relating to the Opae. I have one of the "ecosystems", and found this page when looking to find ways to care for the shrimp. Now, I've had this "ecosystem" for many years, and sadly enough, when I started with seven, I now have one. I feel absolutely terrible now that I know the shrimp were suffocating and starving the entire time. Now I have this last shrimp, and I really want to make things better for it. I don't know how much space it needs. I read through the articles and found that the Opae prefer brackish water. Here, I'd like to say I'm a total outsider when it comes to aquariums, salt water, and the like. I desperately want to get the Opae into better conditions. Also, I'm not sure if the algae on the tank walls is the best type of algae.

Right now, it's more of a light-pink color then the red color, so I'm taking it that it isn't doing the best. It is pretty active though...

Here are some pictures of the shrimp and tank:

Please help me make things better for this shrimp. I am totally new, and lots of the guides and articles out there confuse me!

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

It is alright to bring up an old topic that is relevant to your interest.

I recomend searching more next time. I searched "opae ula" with the forum search and came up with alot of information.

search.php

I hope you find what you need from some of the hits, take care.
StrikERZ
Egg
Egg

Post by StrikERZ »

hey,

Thanks for the search tips.

I came up with tons of information, but I don't really know where to start.

I've never dealt with aquariums or anything like that before, so I do'nt know how to make my water brackish or which way is the best way to feed the shrimp. Also, would the "ecosystem" that I have now be a good environment, provided I transferred the shrimp out into another small tank for a bit and clean out the "ecosystem"?

Thanks
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

There are past post about feeding and how to make water with partial salanity (brackish/salt) with aquarium "sea" salt. I would keep the shrimp in the current water (don't throw it out) if you plan to move it, until you are ready to acclimate the shrimp to its new home. This will reduce stress for the shrimp.
StrikERZ
Egg
Egg

Post by StrikERZ »

Alright,

Thanks for the fast reply!
I'll go a'searching.
In the meantime, any other hints, tips, or general knowledge would be appreciated!

Thanks a ton.
Guba
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Guba »

I do'nt know how to make my water brackish
You don't have to worry about mixing salt to correct specifications for brackish. It's defined as any water between fresh water and salt water. So every time you change the water you can fudge a little more water this time, a little more salt next. No set parameters, easy.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Guba wrote:You don't have to worry about mixing salt to correct specifications for brackish. It's defined as any water between fresh water and salt water. So every time you change the water you can fudge a little more water this time, a little more salt next. No set parameters, easy.
It's not quite that simple. Lots of organisms have a defined range of salinity that they need to live, breed and/or prosper. They may survive outside those parameters..but that's just it.

"Brackish" covers everything from almost freshwater to almost ocean water. That's a huge range and it's important what range within that huge range to choose for a specific brackish water organism.

Strikers, before doing *anything* at all you should read the species description for this species on this website, search on this forum for past posts and discussions about salinity, keeping etc... and then (or first) familiarize yourself with aquaria and setups etc. utilizing your favorite search engine. In this forum it is expected that basic information that is readily available through the search function in this forum, in articles on this website and through the search engines on the internet should be utilized first before coming here for clarification. That is part of the rules (that everyone joining this forum should read).
StrikERZ
Egg
Egg

Post by StrikERZ »

Definitely.

In fact, I came across this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2378&p=21209&hilit=ecosphere#p21209

It's been very informative, and I'm reading up around the forum.

Sorry, my newness to aquariums and such just kinda made me confused as to what to do.

Thanks for the tips!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

StrikERZ wrote:
Sorry, my newness to aquariums and such just kinda made me confused as to what to do.

Thanks for the tips!
No problem. We've all been there. :)