This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

AlexMC
Egg
Egg

CPO Breeding Problems

Post by AlexMC »

Hi,

I have set up an aquarium to keep only CPO "Cambarelus patzcuarensis var. orange".

It's a 42 liters cube (35cm x 35cm x 35cm) with ADA aquasoil amazonia.
It has some caves for them to hide (little clay tubes) and lot's of moss.

In there I have 5 CPO's, 3 females and 2 males, which I feed once a day with jbl novo prawn and jbl novo crabs.

The females become berried but they gradually loose the eggs, after one or two weeks I have no eggs left...

Water parameters are fine.

Does someone have any clue about what I should do to have successful reproduction?
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Re: CPO Breeding Problems

Post by TKD »

It could be the ADA soil. I have heard people with shrimp having issues with it.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

What are the issues :shock: ? I am using it ADA aquasoil and would like to know just in case please.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The issue may be that these guys' ancestors come from a highly alkaline environment and Aquasoil eats up the kh and usually drives the ph under 7 creating an acidic environment.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I have added cuttlebone to the tanks just to provide more calcium. The pH is at a steady 7.3 and the crays seem healthy so I won't be changing anything at this point. Thanks for the information.
AlexMC
Egg
Egg

Post by AlexMC »

Thanks for the help guys.

PH is stable at 7.0, but like Mustafa said they could have come from highly alkaline water.
I will ask the breeder what are the water parameters of is breeding tanks.

One of the things I noticed is that the last eggs remaining on the females, before they loose all of them seem to get fungus, does this gives any clue for what's happening?
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

I have mine in an alkaline environment(Texas water) and they have the same problems with the eggs.
Mustafa wrote:The issue may be that these guys' ancestors come from a highly alkaline environment and Aquasoil eats up the kh and usually drives the ph under 7 creating an acidic environment.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

milalic wrote:I have mine in an alkaline environment(Texas water) and they have the same problems with the eggs.
The same, or similar, types of problems don't always stem from the same causes. You probably have some other issues with your tank/water.