Berried Malaya Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Berried Malaya Shrimp

Post by southerndesert »

Got a shot of this crowd of berried Malaya Shrimp this morning. This is in a 65 gallon tank and the larger more stable environment seems to have triggered a breeding frenzy. This is just some of the berried females and the males were doing the swim thing while I was taking this photos looking to fertilize another...

I will soon feel very comfortable with this colony and feel the larger tank has really made these shrimp happy.

Cheers, Bill
shrimpbaby
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Berried Malaya Shrimp

Post by shrimpbaby »

They look like they're doing really well.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Awesome! :) As I always say, the larger the tank the better. I love these guys!
Scipio
Egg
Egg

Post by Scipio »

Bill you are killing me! Those Malayas are beautiful :smt007 I can't wait till fall.
plecoperson
Egg
Egg

Post by plecoperson »

:smt006 And I'll use my first post to this forum to say congratulations on a striking colony of Malaya shrimp. I have a couple common species and I'm just working on soaking up info before trying anything more.

I've enjoyed reading your posts and admire your dedication to adding to the pool of good husbandry information on the species you keep.
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

plecoperson wrote::smt006 And I'll use my first post to this forum to say congratulations on a striking colony of Malaya shrimp. I have a couple common species and I'm just working on soaking up info before trying anything more.

I've enjoyed reading your posts and admire your dedication to adding to the pool of good husbandry information on the species you keep.
Thank you and welcome to the forum... Thanks all for the kind words, but the shrimp are doing all the work. Keeping a larger tank as mentioned is much simpler and there is MUCH more surface area for bio film making for a very healthy clean environment for the young to be born into and the survival rate should I think dramatically increase. Just wasn't seeing as many survive to adulthood as there should have been in the smaller tanks due to I suspect water quality (as Mustafa mentioned) In the larger tank these shrimp are VERY active and their behavior is different than in the smaller tanks as well....

I now have a 50 gallon in cycle and in a couple months after it has matured I have another project in mind.....

Cheers, Bill
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

Spectacular! It's always great to hear that a shrimp colony is doing well.

I agree that a larger environment is best for any shrimp species.
Katalyst
Egg
Egg

Post by Katalyst »

They look great! May I ask what water parameters you are keeping them at? I've seen these at my lfs but without knowing what water params they need I'm hesistant to pick them up.

Thanks!

Kate
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hello Kate,

You have definitely not seen this species at your store. This species is not sold in stores. All the animals in North America ultimately stem from me (and only a handful of people have them so far) and I have never seen these guys imported. One has to be really careful about "identifying" shrimp. Yes, there may be shrimp in stores that have similar markings, but they are not Malaya shrimp. So, to avoid confusion and stop the proliferation of misinformation (there are already tons of sellers on various auction sites out there who sell shrimp that are not what they claim) it's always a good idea to have your shrimp identified here.

As for water parameters, any dechlorinated tap water will do.
Katalyst wrote:They look great! May I ask what water parameters you are keeping them at? I've seen these at my lfs but without knowing what water params they need I'm hesistant to pick them up.

Thanks!

Kate
Katalyst
Egg
Egg

Post by Katalyst »

Thanks for the info, its frustrating at times to figure out what's what. They were initially labelled as blackberry and then as malaysia's. This particular store that I was speaking about gets a lot of different not sold in pet stores but still not enough to satiate my shrimp bug unfortunately. I did pick up 10 so I'll post some photo's in another link if you would be kind enough to help me identify them.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Unfortunately, your experience is the norm. Almost all stores out there have no idea what they have and label shrimp with all kinds of names. The only "blackberry" shrimp I have seen on import lists (where stores ultimately get their shrimp from) were blue Neocaridina sp. (see species description on this website).

Go ahead and post the pictures of your shrimp in a new thread as it's off-topic in a Malaya shrimp thread.