Ameno Shrimp Dies After Molting?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

UnknownUser
Egg
Egg

Ameno Shrimp Dies After Molting?

Post by UnknownUser »

Hello Everyone
I have had a Ameno shrimp for a little over a week now and he has just been a delight.. Well as of until last night. I woke up and found a casualtie on the bottom floor. So I turned on the light and to my excitement he had molted. Well he was flipped over on his back and I watched him for a bit and then he started kicking his feet and his little flappers in the back... Well "great" I thought. Everything came through ok through the molt and he just needs to harden up and flip over to go about his way... So I left him be not knowing what else to do but of course being a bit worried. About a hour or so later I came back and noticed that he was no more... No movement... no nothing. =( I feel that this is my fault and I should of done something for him because he went through all the motions of moving his limbs and such but just could not flip over and swim about. Does anyone have anything to share with me on this topic as I would love to put more shrimp in but at 4 bucks a pop I cannot afford to lose them each time they molt.

I did do a water test as all of this was going on and my Nitrite level was fine.

I did a 25% water change just now to clear the water up more... But this really had me bummed out all day... Yes I know its just a shrimp but I was starting to like him a lot. :|
Guba
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Ameno Shrimp Dies After Molting?

Post by Guba »

It's been my expereince that shrimp purchased at a store and molting soon after seem to die also. My theory on this is poor nutrition from being shipped and too much stress.
UnknownUser
Egg
Egg

Post by UnknownUser »

I did buy him from a store, but poor nutrition? He was eating everything on the bottom of my tank... Should I not dig into this to much or is there a more definate answer to this issue... What goes wrong after the molt that kills the shrimp? This is what I am struggling with.. Should I have pulled the shrimp out of the tank? I did a 25% water change last night because I was worried it was the water and it has been a month so it was due, and now the nitrites and nitrates are very low... I suppose I will wait 3 weeks and see how or if the water changes and then maybe do a online order for shrimp.. I just love the little suckers so much. What is wrong with me? :wink:
Guba
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Guba »

If everything is okay with your water, then maybe it was old age? I have also had old shrimp do the same thing.
mithrius
Egg
Egg

Post by mithrius »

its ok.. im very attached to my shrimp too..
:( i know its silly.. but they are so small and cute.!