Mantis Shrimp

This forum is read-only.
PhilK
Egg
Egg

Mantis Shrimp

Post by PhilK »

I know they aren't technically shrimp but they are just awesome! Does anybody have any experience with them?
HellRaizer
Egg
Egg

Re: Mantis Shrimp

Post by HellRaizer »

last time i set up a marine tank a mantis came in as a hitch hiker on one of the pieces or live rock i bought.. was ne heck of a mission catching the little bugger...
they are quite tough, surviving in most conditions, even a tank cycle.. but id say a good constant temp of around 25 degrees celcius, good water conditions and a stable food supply of brine and krill will see one grow up big and strong... and be aware, they are viscious predators, and will even attack with intent of injury when you stick your hand in his tank.. they have powerful 'claws' that can crack the glass panes on the aquarium with the force they pack a punch with.. some types grow quite large too, so a suitable sized tank must also be taken into account..
they like hiding out in caves and holes, so a generous amount of liverock must be supplied in the marine aquarium you plan to house it in
hope some of the info helps
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Moved this topic to the "other invertebrates" section as this type of invertebrate is not the type of "shrimp" we talk about in the main section.
PhilK
Egg
Egg

Post by PhilK »

Cheers for the info HellRaizer, and sorry for the wrong posting Mustafa.