CO2 Tablets, are they safe for shrimp tanks?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

jcem2989
Egg
Egg

CO2 Tablets, are they safe for shrimp tanks?

Post by jcem2989 »

Dear all, hope you could help me...I was just wondering are :
1) CO2 tablets safe to use in shrimp tanks.
2) And if there is an overdose would it be fatal to the shrimps?
3) If I were to put the tablet into the tanks and the shrimp start nibbling and consume the tablet would it be fatal to the shrimps?

Thanks in advance for all your replies.

Janssen
NetsuaiAngel
Egg
Egg

Re: CO2 Tablets, are they safe for shrimp tanks?

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

Hi Janssen,

Why are you using CO2 tablets in your shrimp tank? Can I assume you want these for your plants? Are your plants showing signs of poor CO2?

Also, what kind of shrimp are in your tank?

To be honest, with the sensitive bodies of shrimp, I would not risk this, but perhaps others may have better advice than I.

-Angela
jcem2989
Egg
Egg

Re: CO2 Tablets, are they safe for shrimp tanks?

Post by jcem2989 »

Hi Angela, its you again and thanks for your great effort in replying my question...appreciate it :D . Yes I have thought about it as well and was a little worried to try it too. But on the bright side...I have not tried it yet. You can take a look at my member's gallery under the name of "jcem2989 Gallery" and I have posted a few photos of my shrimps there. I only have cherry shrimps and Malaya shrimps (I think it is Malaya shrimps because my pet shop owner also doesn't know it as well). Do you think you know what shrimps are those?

Ok back to my CO2 topic...my plants are quite alright cos now I only planted plants that dont need CO2 injection but I am only a little worried about the java moss. But my aquarium owner told me that it doesn't require CO2, so the tablet came into my mind because I thought of dosing it only once in a while when needed and thus avoiding me in buying a set of CO2 cylinder.

Anyway, I think I will not dose it with any CO2 tables, just to be on the safe side. Thanks for your advice again

Janssen