EcoSphere Disaster

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

sherryh
Egg
Egg

EcoSphere Disaster

Post by sherryh »

We had an EcoSphere type of container at work with two shrimp? inside, it had been there at least 6 months. Thursday night at closing time I accidentally knocked it over and it busted. The poor little guys were dumped out on the counter and, in an emergency rescue attempt, one was sucked up into a syringe and the other was pushed into a pill bottle with as much as of their original water as could be salvaged.

They came home with me and actually survived the night after their ordeal. I have moved them from the pill bottle to a baby food jar and tried to feed them a crushed Tetra PlecoMin tablet. They are not looking good at all this morning.

Yesterday I bought them a little betta tank and some water conditioner but I guess I need to mix up some "brackish" water for them and I don't know the ratio I should use and if plain non-iodized salt will be okay in this emergency. I live in the country and have to order alot of my pet supplies (hydrometer, etc.). Also, what should I be feeding them if they survive?
infopimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: EcoSphere Disaster

Post by infopimp »

You have most likely what are called "Hawaiian Red Shrimp" - here is the Information on them from this site:

http://www.petshrimp.com/hawaiianredshrimp.html

In reading this, you will learn that you actually have liberated your poor pet... from a prison.... and more.
nick11380
Larva
Larva

Re: EcoSphere Disaster

Post by nick11380 »

Don't worry about feeding them now wait until you get a proper home set up for them. They won't starve. Shrimp eat very little so your efforts to feed them will most likely pollute the water.

Hawaiian Red Shrimp can live in fresh water but they do best in brackish. Be sure to use sea salt, not table salt or aquarium salt to make brackish water.