Hydra

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

infopimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Hydra

Post by infopimp »

Found this thread and in my own further research I found a gentleman giving a first hand objective report of the use of Panacur to treat Hyrdas specifically on dwarf shrimp - and other tanks:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... tanks.html

I hope this helps further understading on this matter and will report my own findings as I implement a mild Panacur treatment here
fishgeek
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by fishgeek »

panacur is fenbendazol - there are reports of fenbendazol as a suspension causing gill damage and subsequent loss of fish, not well scientifically proven

flubedazol is more commonly thought to be soluble and for a long time has been used by german hobbiest to treat hydra

both flubendazol and fenbendazol are benzimidazol drugs and work in the same fashion... so likely to be safe in same situations and effective in same situations

when i use fenbendazol to worm fish i tend to do it orally, because of the concern of the suspension in water , even if just ancedotal

the electrocution method is not safe for fish as it is just using the low current and wires in water to act as a battery and the copper is what is being liberated from wire to damage hydra, as others have pointed out that is no good for shrimp

peroxide is very labile, in the presence of organic matter it will quickly break down into just water and oxygen
it is a strong oxidant and that is how it damages things that it is placed directly on

andrew
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Here is how I got rid of my hydra problem in the past: I just waited for the hydra to disappear...and they did. Hydra usually come into tanks with plants that were cultivated in ponds (and subsequently delivered to stores for sale). In such environments (ponds etc.), just as in the wild, hydra flourish because there are more than enough microscopic food items for them to live on. In a tank that's usually not the case. So, although you will see hydra multiply and develop for a while (maybe they have food reserves or maybe you are going overboard with feeding and suspended food particles fill every corner of your tank), but at some point they just starve and disappear. I had shrimp in the tank with the hydra but I have never observed the hydra catch any babies (which does not mean it did not happen). The shrimp zipped away every time they got in contact with the hydra. Even with all the baby shrimp, the hydra starved after a few weeks (maybe a month+?) and disappeared, never to return.
BiffMalawi
Larva
Larva

Post by BiffMalawi »

Hear hear Mustafa> I was just about to say the same thing. I can not imagine that the hydra pose a significant threat to any of the desired inhabitants in a tank. Although the discussion of these additives has been interesting I believe avoiding the addition of chemicals of any kind is highly desirable. In all my years of fish and invert keeping I have never found cause to chemically treat a tank, establishing a routine of good maintainence and feeding habits is all you really need.
infopimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by infopimp »

There are threads on the internet that claim Hydra have stung and killed shrimplets.

Of course, there are many misinformed threads out there... I only know that I did find a dead Malawa shrimp (a very small one, and the the only dead body I've found) the same day I saw hydras stinging these shrimp as they swam by. The shrimp I saw (a large one) reacted with a jerk, then kept on swimming.

That can't be good... but I guess the jury is out on whether or not a hydra can kill a shrimplet.
BiffMalawi
Larva
Larva

Post by BiffMalawi »

Acting on your own observation is often the way to go. I can't imagine the hydras I have every reaching any shrimp they are so tiny how big where the ones you saw sting the shrimp.
shadohfrog
Egg
Egg

Post by shadohfrog »

Hydra usually never stay around longer than a few weeks. They are fascinating to watch. Enjoy the show while it lasts !
Cactus Bastard
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Cactus Bastard »

I adore Hydra, easily as much as I like shrimp. I'm dead serious, they're amazing creatures!

I don't know how healthy their sting is for a baby shrimp, but the original poster did say the Hydra were in a tank full of Amanos anyway. So nothing to worry about, they will die off once they start running out of food :cry: and the baby Amanos will be perfectly safe in seperate tanks.
maxcow
Egg
Egg

Post by maxcow »

what exactly are hydra? are they a funguss, an animal? i have had problems in the past but dident know what the heck it was. luckly it was on the fron side of the tank and i got it off with a razor, not seeing any in that tank ever again. but that would be cool if the amanos did eat it, that way when ever i got some hdra in a shrimp tank i could just add an amano.
infopimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by infopimp »