all my shrimp are dead

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

maxcow
Egg
Egg

all my shrimp are dead

Post by maxcow »

ok well when i got home i did my normal thing, touk care of the chickens, tortoises, ect. but when i went to feed my ghost shrimp they were all dead! :oops: what went rong? i had 11 shrimp and 3 berried femals and they are all in a 12 gallon. the ph is 7.7 and they have several aquatic plants with them.
i have never had problems with them befor and they were even breeding but they all died at the same time, adults to babies! pleaze help because i dont want this to happen to my other shrimp. they have a small african dwarf frog that has never did anything befor and always hides could he have done anything to do with it? he has never showed arggession tword them befor, culd he have introduced a virus?

please help,
<max>
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: all my shrimp are dead

Post by southerndesert »

Did you check you ammonia and nitrites? Temp? How long have your ghost shrimp been in the tank?
maxcow
Egg
Egg

Post by maxcow »

is there such things as amonia spickes? about a month befor the amonia was at a good level but i have been adding more than usaul blood worms and masquito larve(about once a one or two cubes a week). next time i try this species should i use a protien scimmer? can i use one for fresh water?
Koster
Egg
Egg

Post by Koster »

I would take it easy on blood worms and masquito larve. They could cause trouble moulting.
Mitch
Egg
Egg

Post by Mitch »

Could have been an ammonia spike... and no you can't use a protein skimmer for freshwater... well you could but it wouldn't do much. :lol: